What do I do to fix the fact that "localhost" suddenly goes no where?

xarzu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
What do I do to fix the fact that "localhost" suddenly goes no where?

I don't know exactly how this happened. I recall that I was able to pull up localhost in my browser and then one day I could not. it throws an error. The only thing I can think of is that I was prompted at work to reset my password. Does this mean I need to go into the IIS and reset my password there as well?

I have noticed other things going wrong suddenly as well. some intranet sites that I was able to access before, I am suddenly unable to bring up in a browser.

Please advise.

xarzu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
This is the result from ping -4 localhost

C:\Windows\system32>ping -4 localhost

Pinging OX-LW105CHYX52.infosolco.net [127.0.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Windows\system32>

This is the result from ping -4 127.0.0.1

C:\Windows\system32>ping -4 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Windows\system32>

Here is the content of
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
(THERE IS NOTHING HERE AT ALL THAT IS NOT COMMENTED OUT)

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

I have been told to try the DOS command:
gpupdate /force

I did this and it led to a reboot but I the problem still remained that I am unable to access some intranet and local web sites.

For what it is worth, here is the output of this:

C:\Windows\system32>gpupdate /force
Updating policy...

Computer Policy update has completed successfully.
User Policy update has completed successfully.

The following warnings were encountered during user policy processing:

The Group Policy Client Side Extension Folder Redirection was unable to apply one or more settings because the changes must be processed before system startup or user logon. The system will wait for Group Policy processing to finish completely before the next startup or logon for this user, and this may result in slow startup and boot performance.

For more detailed information, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html from the command line to access information about Group Policy results.

Certain user policies are enabled that can only run during logon.

OK to log off? (Y/N)

I am unable to access some intranet and local web sites.

All this began after I reset my password. Then, I found that "localhost" in my browser went no where. I have noticed other things going wrong suddenly as well. Some local intranet sites that I was able to access before, I am suddenly unable to bring up in a browser.

if I tried to browse to 127.0.0.1 and I got "Service Unavailable" HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable. So there was something up with my IIS server

Thinking that this must have something do do with my password being recently reset, I went online and I found "Running Password Reset Server IIS Application Pool with a Service Account"

https://thycotic.force.com/support/s/article/Running-Password-Reset-Server-IIS-Application-Pool-with-a-Service-Account

I think I need to reset the Application Pools in the IIS Manager according to my new password
https://tinyurl.com/y7thkhl8

For IIS 7 (Windows Vista, Windows 7,Windows 8,Windows 8.1 Server 2008[R2] Server 2012[R2]), locate the application pool that Secret Server is using, right click on it, click "advanced settings",

https://tinyurl.com/y945cjbr

click the "Identity" box in the "Process Model" section,
click the three dots on the right of the box,
click the "Custom Account" radio button, click "Set", enter your service account name and password, and click "OK"

https://tinyurl.com/y9yxyzz8

I did this for all of the application pools in IIS and now I am able to pull up localhost in a browser. But I am not able to pull up web pages that are specific to my intranet and I am not able to pull up any local web sites. I think I need to do something extra with forms.app and forms.console under my default web site option in ISS:
https://tinyurl.com/yaesyjno

Please advise.

xarzu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
OK, well, the problem has been fixed. But here is the strange part. I noticed that after I had done some work with the ISS settings and I found that there were still some issues, I began making further in-depth documentation to post, and, part of that process was to report on what I was seeing with some internal web site connections. Suddenly, those web site connections were working as they should be. It was if some network engineer at the company suddenly noticed he had to make some accommodations and he did it. So I am making this post here not in the spirit of completeness.