What do i do with my old PC with a broken PCI-E x16??

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015
2 days ago i got my cousin's PC to fix it and add a video card to it but the PCI-E x16 slot seems broken.
i installed the video card but the PC won't recognize it?
the PC turns on normally but the monitor won't get any signal from the video card unless i use the on-board VGA connector, i tried to change some settings in the bios but it didn't work either.
Anyways i had a motherboard laying around that's in perfect working condition, it has the same CPU (E2180) i installed the video card in the new motherboard and it worked perfectly and now my cousin is happy and all about his upgrade, he's a little kid and he won't play much games
mostly Minecraft and GTA vice city

but now i'm stuck with this broken motherboard and i got a old used HD 5450 laying around
as far as i know it's a pretty low profile video card, so i was wondering if i could buy one of these cheap pci-e x1 to x16 from ebay? it's a low profile video card and i don't think it requires much
will it work?
the motherboard has one PCI-E x16 (broken) and one PCI-E x1 and two PCI slots
The motherboard is: Asrock Wolfdale1333-d667

Btw the video card i gave him is a another HD 5450

Solution

Its not like its brand new. Time to give it up IMO.....

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015

Should i try to run my HD 7850 from my gaming PC with this motherboard?
or is there any risk of damaging my HD7850?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Theres always a risk with a broken slot. It probably won't break it but why would you bother?

If you use that adaptor you won't get full PCIe lane usage and it will drag its performance down

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015

i guess i should just give up on that broken motherboard instead of it being a pain?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its not like its brand new. Time to give it up IMO.....

Solution

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015

well... yeah you're right
Thanks friend!