[SOLVED] what do i do?

Parkerdam

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
i have an armor rx 580 4gb and its a good card, but ut tends to get pretty hot reaching over 83c in some games. i want to get a better rx 580 8gb model, that deals with temps better and will be better for me in the long run. so would i have to delete all drivers even though im using the same type of gpu or can i take out the old one and put in the new and it will be able to get into games right away?

Solution
I would need to know other factors like what kind of a case it is and your fan configuration? If it's hot with one card it might be equally hot with the next if the setup isn't right.

I'm moving from an old Corsair 550D made for silent operation but only has 2 120mm fans in the front to my new Fractal Meshify S2 with 3 140mm fans in the front, much more airflow through the whole thing so I expect cooler temps throughout.

Just a thought, but I would address the case/fans etc first, and if you do have a good setup and it's still a thermal issue then look at other components. But without knowing your setup it's hard for anyone to say what's the issue here. Plus with new cards dropping soon, the prices on all cards is going to come...

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
I would need to know other factors like what kind of a case it is and your fan configuration? If it's hot with one card it might be equally hot with the next if the setup isn't right.

I'm moving from an old Corsair 550D made for silent operation but only has 2 120mm fans in the front to my new Fractal Meshify S2 with 3 140mm fans in the front, much more airflow through the whole thing so I expect cooler temps throughout.

Just a thought, but I would address the case/fans etc first, and if you do have a good setup and it's still a thermal issue then look at other components. But without knowing your setup it's hard for anyone to say what's the issue here. Plus with new cards dropping soon, the prices on all cards is going to come down so it may be better to wait a little bit anyway.

EDIT: in answer to your question about if you can just swap the cards out and start playing, basically yes, but you will want to download the right drivers for it which is usually easy enough.

Solution
Rx 580 usually runs a bit hot. I would say remove the card heatsink and reapply a better thermalpaste.
Use 90% isopropyl alcohol to remove the old paste and reapply new paste.
The performance difference between a 4gb and 8gb would be negligible.
Why don't you take a look at the 1660 or the 1660super? Their temperatures will be lower compared to the amd.