[SOLVED] What do I have to upgrade to use the Ryzen 5 3600

Solution
You should be able to get the new CPUs anywhere you normally buy PC parts from. For the motherboard, I'd recommend waiting a week or two for more sites to re-review b450 motherboards with Ryzen 3k CPUs.

Personally, I'd just wait until b550 motherboards become available instead of dealing with backwards compatibility quirks and possibly hit-or-miss BIOS support which could mean having to jump through additional hoops ('AMD bootkit' or similar) to get the board up to speed.

InvalidError

Titan
You should be able to get the new CPUs anywhere you normally buy PC parts from. For the motherboard, I'd recommend waiting a week or two for more sites to re-review b450 motherboards with Ryzen 3k CPUs.

Personally, I'd just wait until b550 motherboards become available instead of dealing with backwards compatibility quirks and possibly hit-or-miss BIOS support which could mean having to jump through additional hoops ('AMD bootkit' or similar) to get the board up to speed.

Reactions: isilen
Solution
Jun 15, 2019
Which motherboard would be good for the ryzen 5 3600. Any reccomendations or suggestions?
You should get a b450 or x470, I have a b450 tomahawk motherboard and I haven’t had any issues since getting it. But they’re both arc so if you want a really good tax case that’s cheap for as good as it is than get the NZXT h500 and if you want rgb in it than get the NZXT h500i which is like $30 more. Also get 16gb 3200 ram. I have Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb (2x8) 3200 MHz ram and it’s good too.

Reactions: isilen
Jan 2, 2019

Cant really update the bios with my intel cpu so I guess I have to wait for the new motherboards to come out.
When are the new motherboards coming out?

InvalidError

Titan
When are the new motherboards coming out?
Motherboard vendors started shipping 300/400-series motherboards with updated BIOS about a month ago, the difficulty lies in finding those clearly labeled as updated. For the B500-series motherboard, AMD is allegedly waiting on ASMedia to finish validating its PCIe 4.0 implementation and the best-case ETA is late this year, which may very well mean early 2020 for B500-series motherboards, much later than I would have liked.