[SOLVED] What do I need to display 10bit color?

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
I already have a 10bit capable display (ViewSonic VP2770-led), my GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (which I thought could output in 10bit the Nvidia control panel even showed it as an option when I got it) but now years later it no longer shows this as an option (I always use the native 1440p resolution).

BTW the connection between the display nag the GPU is HDMI but both the monitor and the GPU have a display port connection if the cable is the issue.)

So what do I need to change about my computer for it to be able to display 10bit color?

Solution
hmm thats not a true 10bit monitor, its 8bit + FRC, tho 10bit should be available in nvidia resolution setings
but u say years ago it worked?
that appears to be your post from 4 years ago, as far as geforce goes, 10bit will display only in directX apps, if u need 10bit images outside of games, u need different GPU quadro or radeon pro
hmm thats not a true 10bit monitor, its 8bit + FRC, tho 10bit should be available in nvidia resolution setings
that appears to be your post from 4 years ago, as far as geforce goes, 10bit will display only in directX apps, if u need 10bit images outside of games, u need different GPU quadro or radeon pro

Solution

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017

How noticeable is the difference between true 10bit and 8bit+FRC? To answer your question it was less than years ago that it allowed me to choose 10bpc as my color, early this year I think I just realized it says output color depth it doesn't have a list box for input.

What is the cheapest GPU that I can get (I'll provide motherboard specs if needed.) Also, how much would a true 10bit IPS (27" or around there 59 fps is all that's necessary) be?

Endre

Reputable
I already have a 10bit capable display (ViewSonic VP2770-led), my GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (which I thought could output in 10bit the Nvidia control panel even showed it as an option when I got it) but now years later it no longer shows this as an option (I always use the native 1440p resolution).

BTW the connection between the display nag the GPU is HDMI but both the monitor and the GPU have a display port connection if the cable is the issue.)

So what do I need to change about my computer for it to be able to display 10bit color?

Hello!

HDMI connection can’t deliver 10-bit image, unless it’s HDMI 2.1!

You must use the DisplayPort cable to be able to select the 10 bpc option in the NVIDIA Control Panel!

Reactions: kaishlothon
Hello!

HDMI connection can’t deliver 10-bit image, unless it’s HDMI 2.1!

You must use the DisplayPort cable to be able to select the 10 bpc option in the NVIDIA Control Panel!
thats not necesary, u might have mistaken it for HDR 10bit at 4K with 4:4:4 / RGB
his HDMI has 1080p, 1.4ver is enough for 10bit RGB

How noticeable is the difference between true 10bit and 8bit+FRC?
Green-cyan_plus_cyan_alternating.gif

if wouldnt flicker as this example, but heres teh idea behind it
theres no point looking at google pictures as they are 8bit, even if u find 10bit examples, your gpu drivers/webbrowser would show 8bit

Reactions: kaishlothon

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
thats not necesary, u might have mistaken it for HDR 10bit at 4K with 4:4:4 / RGB
his HDMI has 1080p, 1.4ver is enough for 10bit RGB

Green-cyan_plus_cyan_alternating.gif

if wouldnt flicker as this example, but heres teh idea behind it
theres no point looking at google pictures as they are 8bit, even if u find 10bit examples, your gpu drivers/webbrowser would show 8bit
I know the internet would but is that true for most new games and hdr movies?

I know the internet would but is that true for most new games and hdr movies?
Consuming modern HDR content requires a monitor that conforms to one of the HDR standards. Your monitor was made before said HDR standards were made, so your monitor can't view said HDR content as intended. There are ways to make HDR video show properly on non compatible displays, but no such thing exists (as far as I know) for games.

TRENDING THREADS