Question What do I need to safely use Liquid Metal as thermal paste (Grizzly Conductonaut)

jasonmbrown

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
What should I use alongside the Conductonaut to keep it from leaking onto other components. I know that Linus Tech Tips used a spray (Im not sure what it was though If anyone knows) around the cpu to protect against any unwanted leakage/spills. I was thinking about using that alongside some kapton tape. You guys think that would be enough?

Also What are thoughts on using Liquid metal on a laptop where the device isn't stationary?
My plan is too apply it to my CPU and GPU then use Thermal Paste/Thermal Pads for the Gpu Memory Chips (Unfortunately I cant thermal paste all the memory, some have a 1mm gap between the chip and heatsync, others have a 5mm gap and use thicker thermal pads for some reason).

jasonmbrown

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
Im planning to switch cpu's to a Intel Core i9-9980HK, So The more cooling the better. Although I need to find out what the actual real world power draw is before I can determine if Liquid metal is enough to keep the temps where I want them, or if I will have to pay to get some more heat pipes welded on.

USAFRet

Titan
This laptop...?

jasonmbrown

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
Yes same laptop, Regardless the recent heatwaves are making my laptop run too hot, due to the ambient temperature increase. Its probably just gonna get worse as the years go on, so thought I might look into solutions now rather then wait until I can cook an egg on my cpu.

Aside from that my questions werent actually answered? Does anyone know the spray that linus uses alongside the liquid metal to protect the area around the cpu from any metal leakage?