Question What do I need to upgrade to do 4K gaming?

edward78

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR, EVGA's site says this card can do 4k at 120 Hz. I play Mortal Online 2.

to "do" 4K gaming you are fine as is.

to do it with good in-game settings and with good frame rates in more resource demanding games you will practically be building a brand new higher-end system;
much better CPU,
new motherboard,
>/=16GB DDR5 memory,
higher end GPU with much more VRAM,
power supply with enough wattage to handle the higher-end GPU...

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
to do it with good in-game settings and with good frame rates in more resource demanding games you will practically be building a brand new higher-end system;
much better CPU,
new motherboard,
>/=16GB DDR5 memory,
higher end GPU with much more VRAM,
power supply with enough wattage to handle the higher-end GPU...
TLDR: Build a new computer lol

OP could, depending on where they live and current pricing, just get a MB with DDR4 and save some money.

But anyway, I agree, to achieve 4K in a state that is enjoyable, really a fresh start is needed.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey there,

I would have to agree with @sycoreaper on this one. Neither your CPU or GPU will stand the test at 4k. You need a bit of both.

Get a 5800x3d, and a mid to high end GPU., maybe some fast ram.

To get a better idea, open up your NVCP, and set DLDSR to on, and set it to 4 k (I do this with my 1080p panel and upscale to 1440p). You can also upscale to 4k. It will show you roughly what FPS you will get in your games.

As a min, I'd be suggesting the 5800x3d/5700x and something like a 4080 with 16gb vram. Keep your current mem, motherboard. PSU might need upgrading too.

Keep in mind though. That would be the last step in upgrading your current system. After that you really do need a new platform. However, some of your parts will transfer to a new system. GPU/PSU etc.

The 3060ti is decent enough at 1440p. Unless your a pro gamer, getting a Freesync monitor, and using a DP port, you can get G-sync, which really smoothes things out.

edward78

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
What fps are you getting currently?
3060 ti should be ~ 120% performance compared to 1080 ti.

You may want to watch this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LKZHGWcOgo
No idea, never tracked it. MO2 plays good & smotth now. If I can get away with lowering settings I will be ok with this sys. I wish a better gpu wasn't so much. So could I just get a R7 3xxx series??? This would do MSI the cheap jerks, they have a "Beta" bios for beta chips, but they went witrh doing a new board for better CPUs. This would be good, MSI MPG B650I Edge WiFi Gaming Motherboard (AMD AM5, Mini-ITX, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2, HDMI, Wi-Fi 6E, AMD Ryzen 7000 Series Desktop Processors, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor & my ram and GPU are good right? Or do I need a better GPU too? This ram looks good, vut Iwant a flat to, that looks like I could mess with the cooler. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LHPZK4...&s=pc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

Last edited: