Question How to fix intermittent black ink problem on Canon printer ?

new_ user

Prominent
Nov 22, 2022
Hello

Printer model : Canon PIXMA G2410

Every time when I print, on the first sheet always the black color is not clear, then starting from the second sheet it prints normally.. Sometimes starting from the lower half of a sheet the black returns to normal.
This only happens with black, the other colors are fine , any help please !

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
Run a deep head clean for all colours. Try printing in greyscale only and see results, then print in colour so it uses the small black cartridge, thats if you have a four cartridge printer from within the printer properties section and see if the first page prints correctly both times.

new_ user

Prominent
Nov 22, 2022
I did a deepclean both for black and colors and the result is the same every time i start printer the black is not clear and after 1 paper or from half paper the black retrun to be printed fine , strange , as i can unserstand it is somehow printing from cold status that causes this problem.

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
In the printer properties advanced tab, there should be a tick box to 'Enable Advanced Printing Features'. Just untick that box, then apply and ok buttons. Then try a print test again. I had weird things happening before with this setting ticked. Turn printer off and back on if it has not changed after applying.
Let me know how it goes.

new_ user

Prominent
Nov 22, 2022
In the printer properties advanced tab, there should be a tick box to 'Enable Advanced Printing Features'. Just untick that box, then apply and ok buttons. Then try a print test again. Had wietd things go on before with this setting ticked. Turn printer on and off if it has not changed after applying.
Let me know how it goes.
Here are the 2 test pages. As you can see, the second test page is the best one:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/unaw0j1j3fl853b/1test.png/file

https://www.mediafire.com/view/j0sgmbdrapsfbnn/2test.png/file

Ralston18

Titan
Could be something like, as you mentioned, being "cold" and then warming up.

Do you know anyone else who buys ink etc. from that store? Are those people having ink and printer problems?

Very likely that the ink is substandard and does not meet Canon's formula and quality requirements. Could be completely counterfeit - no way for most stores to determine that barring customers bringing back failed ink cartridges.

My thought is that the ink dries out and otherwise degrades around the print heads and it takes a couple of pages worth of printing to clear/clean out the print heads.

Pri nter manufacturers design their printers to use manufacturer's brand inks. Ink is a profit center for the manufacturers and it is often touted that printers are sold a loss. A loss that is recovered via ink profits.

And using other inks likely voids any printer warranties.

Unfortunately that is the way of things and barring some general consumer revolt - not much can be done about it.

[Note: Some third party ink/cartridges may be good and work well. Even if "new" or "refill'/"refurbished" etc.. May work for awhile..... I gave up on Canon products when I could no longer even move identical Canon ink cartridges from one Canon PIXMA printer to another of the same model.]

Try what you can per suggestions above and determine if anything else makes a difference.

Then try another cartridge - legitimate Canon if possible. Also take a look at the ink absorber pads if possible.

Is inky residue spilling out? There are videos (of varying quality) on line.

Overall, the likely culprit is the ink.

Reactions: new_ user

KingLoki

Proper
Jul 10, 2024
Have you tried the saucer of water trick. Sit the black cartridge ink head in a shallow saucer of warm water to see if ink leaks into the water. This helps clean and maximize the flow through the head. If you see a good flow of ink into the water, quickly wipe the head with paper towel or tissues and put it straight back and print. See if it prints the whole page.

new_ user

Prominent
Nov 22, 2022

Do you know anyone else who buys ink etc. from that store? Are those people having ink and printer problems?

Very likely that the ink is substandard and does not meet Canon's formula and quality requirements. Could be completely counterfeit - no way for most stores to determine that barring customers bringing back failed ink cartridges.

My thought is that the ink dries out and otherwise degrades around the print heads and it takes a couple of pages worth of printing to clear/clean out the print heads.

Pri nter manufacturers design their printers to use manufacturer's brand inks. Ink is a profit center for the manufacturers and it is often touted that printers are sold a loss. A loss that is recovered via ink profits.

Unfortunately that is the way of things and barring some general consumer revolt - not much can be done about it.

[Note: Some third party ink/cartridges may be good and work well. Even if "new" or "refill'/"refurbished" etc.. May work for awhile..... I gave up on Canon products when I could no longer even move identical Canon ink cartridges from one Canon PIXMA printer to another of the same model.]

Try what you can per suggestions above and determine if anything else makes a difference.

Then try another cartridge - legitimate Canon if possible. Also take a look at the ink absorber pads if possible.

thank you very much for details and for you time , I will try to purchase a black ink in comming months is possible and empty the blakc cartidge and refill it and see the result ,

new_ user

Prominent
Nov 22, 2022

i will consider to buy epson printer next time avoid totaly canon

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your photos show flaws in the TOP half of each line for Black ink only. That means the ink is not getting onto the page from the TOP jets of the Black printing head, but IS working in the bottom jets. This is NOT a failure of ink flow from the ink tank to the head. It is temporary clogging of those top jets only in the Black print head. While that MAY have been caused by off-quality ink, merely changing the ink in the tank will not fix this. You must find a way to clean those clogged jets.

See the Set-up manual for this printer, p. 1, Find it here

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300029398/02/G2410_G2510_GS_E7e_V2.pdf

Stage 3 details now to install the two print heads in the carrier. The RIGHT-hand one is the B (Black) print head. CAREFULLY unlock the tab for that and lift the head out of the carrier. You can try two cleaning steps.
1. Use a wet paper towel or tissue to wipe gently over the inky face of the head where the microscopic jets squirt out ink. Do this repeatedly with cleaner wipes until the front face is clean and gives you a black stripe on your wet tissue.
2. If necessary, make one tissue really wet and place the print head, print jet side down, on that wet tissue and let it soak for a while. Then lift it off and wipe clean.
DRY the print head with a clean tissue, leaving no junk on it. Replace that head in the carrier and lock it down.

See Stage 4, four steps on p. 2. to verify the system is OK. Skip to p. 3, Stage 6 to check all is well. Now use the printer's menus to do a full Ink Jet Cleaning, then print test pages.

Assuming this all went well you will have proper printed sheets. But the real test will be after you shut down and do not use for a day or two, then try again.

new_ user

Prominent
Nov 22, 2022
Your photos show flaws in the TOP half of each line for Black ink only. That means the ink is not getting onto the page from the TOP jets of the Black printing head, but IS working in the bottom jets. This is NOT a failure of ink flow from the ink tank to the head. It is temporary clogging of those top jets only in the Black print head. While that MAY have been caused by off-quality ink, merely changing the ink in the tank will not fix this. You must find a way to clean those clogged jets.

See the Set-up manual for this printer, p. 1, Find it here

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300029398/02/G2410_G2510_GS_E7e_V2.pdf

Stage 3 details now to install the two print heads in the carrier. The RIGHT-hand one is the B (Black) print head. CAREFULLY unlock the tab for that and lift the head out of the carrier. You can try two cleaning steps.
1. Use a wet paper towel or tissue to wipe gently over the inky face of the head where the microscopic jets squirt out ink. Do this repeatedly with cleaner wipes until the front face is clean and gives you a black stripe on your wet tissue.
2. If necessary, make one tissue really wet and place the print head, print jet side down, on that wet tissue and let it soak for a while. Then lift it off and wipe clean.
DRY the print head with a clean tissue, leaving no junk on it. Replace that head in the carrier and lock it down.

See Stage 4, four steps on p. 2. to verify the system is OK. Skip to p. 3, Stage 6 to check all is well. Now use the printer's menus to do a full Ink Jet Cleaning, then print test pages.

Assuming this all went well you will have proper printed sheets. But the real test will be after you shut down and do not use for a day or two, then try again.
Hello thank you so mucj ; I will try to remove the head and clean it as describe ,may be in week end an I will post the results , thank you I m realy grateful