Question What do I plug my AIO pump in?

Feb 21, 2022
My motherboard is the MSI MPG EDGE Z690 DDR4 WIFI, and my AIO is the Lian Li Galahad 360mm. The AIO has a 3 pin plug for power, and im wondering if I have to plug it into “Pump_Fan” which is a 4 pin header.

My motherboard is the MSI MPG EDGE Z690 DDR4 WIFI, and my AIO is the Lian Li Galahad 360mm. The AIO has a 3 pin plug for power, and im wondering if I have to plug it into “Pump_Fan” which is a 4 pin header.

You can refer to this pic :

H7t5tjE.jpeg

Feb 21, 2022
Technically it's not the same, the fans speed should be temperature controlled while the pump should run at constant speed.

According to the pic, if you don't have a dedicated AIO_PUMP header you should connect the pump directly to an SATA power cable.
I lost my Sata adapter, so is it fine if i just plug it into a fan header and set it to 100% speed in the Bios?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A header labelled PUMP / FAN is designed so it can be used for EITHER function, and normally you get to make a choice in BIOS Setup for that header to specify which item you have plugged in there. Your particular header like this has a max current available of 3.0 A, much more than any fans needs, but some pumps need that upper limit. When set to host a PUMP, the header will NOT try to control its speed since most AIO system pumps should be run full speed all the time. So YES, plug your pump unit into the PUMP / FAN header. IF there is an option, set it to PUMP use. Maybe also set it to use the newer PWM Mode, and not DC Mode.

That 3-pin connector on the end of the pump wires is making use of a quirk of 4-pin fan design systems. They were designed to include some backwards compatibility features with the older 3-pin system. One of these is that if you plug an older 3-pin fan into a 4-pin mobo header that is using the PWM Mode for fan speed control, that older fan will always run full speed. So you get good cooling but no speed control. The PUMP is wired just like a 3-pin fan. So even if you do NOT have a special header for the pump, plugging it into a 4-pin header that is set to use PWM Mode will still guarantee that the pump runs full speed all the time.

The system comes with a 3-output Splitter for the rad fan MOTORS. Use that to plug them into the CPU_FAN header, and configure that to use PWM Mode. This will make sure all those rad fans have their speeds controlled automatically according to the temperature measured inside the CPU chip.