Here are my parts:
CPU: I7-6700k
GPU: GEFORCE GTX 1080
MEMORY: 16gb of ram
MOTHERBOARD: msi b150 pc mate
PSU: evga 650 GQ power supply
SSD: Samsung 860 PRO 512gb
HDD: 1tb
My question is, what should I upgrade next? What is most beneficial to upgrade? I play some high-end games and really want the best experience. Recently been playing Remnant from the Ashes, some COD, and I'm looking to buy borderlands 3. Also play everything on 1080p 144hz

Aug 23, 2019
You're pretty well balanced there. I'd lean more towards upgrading to a higher resolution. But, you really could just be content with everything you have now. Maybe you want to try ray-tracing? Get an RTX 2070 Super or something.
WOuld everything I have support a 2070? Would I need to upgrade to a better cpu? What about motherboard cause I feel like that's a little outdated

WOuld everything I have support a 2070? Would I need to upgrade to a better cpu? What about motherboard cause I feel like that's a little outdated
Everything would be fine especially when you turned ray-tracing on. Your motherboard won't affect anything except you can't overclock your CPU. Are you seeing CPU limitations right now? I don't really know how your CPU usage would be in those games right now.

Aug 23, 2019
Everything would be fine especially when you turned ray-tracing on. Your motherboard won't affect anything except you can't overclock your CPU. Are you seeing CPU limitations right now? I don't really know how your CPU usage would be in those games right now.
It's running at 4.0 GHz but it can run at 4.2 but it won't allow me. SO prob my motherboard im guessing
But if I bought an RTX 2070 then I wouldn't have to upgrade my CPU or anything? None of it will bottleneck?

It's running at 4.0 GHz but it can run at 4.2 but it won't allow me. SO prob my motherboard im guessing
But if I bought an RTX 2070 then I wouldn't have to upgrade my CPU or anything? None of it will bottleneck?
A 2070 is about the same as a 1080, but with ray-tracing support. I said a 2070 Super, which is more like a 1080 Ti with ray-tracing.

But for the most part, you'd be okay. There might be some games that show some slight CPU limitations at 1080p.

What FPS are you getting in those games? Do you ever get lower than 100 fps in them? If fps is what you are after GPU > CPU. The difference between upgrading your cpu to a 9900k vs getting a 2080 or 2070 super is faster overall computer use and maybe 5-10 fps for the cpu upgrade and 20-35% more fps with a gpu upgrade.