[SOLVED] What do you all think of my build? Especially bitfenix portal owners

inund8

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Here's the build:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/98Kjp8

Looking at using it as HTPC and VR. I did notice that there is a clearance issue with case and the cooler I chose. Bitfenix says the max height of a cooler for it is 125mm, but the height of the cooler 145mm. I'm hoping a portal owner can tell me how hard that limit is :(

Solution
The wraith stealth cooler that comes with that CPU will easily fit, and is more than enough for that CPU model. There is no need to buy a separate cooler. It's also MUCH better than the one you have on your build right now.

inund8

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
The wraith stealth cooler that comes with that CPU will easily fit, and is more than enough for that CPU model. There is no need to buy a separate cooler. It's also MUCH better than the one you have on your build right now.
Interesting. What do you think of switching to a b450 to save some money?

I think there is nothing wrong with it, however, you will be mostly stuck with using an MSI board unless you have a 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS with since so far, only the MSI "max" B450 models come Ryzen 3000 series ready and in order to update other boards you need BIOS flashback which only a handful of MSI and one or two very high end ASUS B450 boards have.

The MSI B450 Tomahawk, Pro Carbon or one of the "Max" models, would be your choices unless you go with something high end like the ASUS Crossfire Hero.

inund8

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
I think there is nothing wrong with it, however, you will be mostly stuck with using an MSI board unless you have a 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU to update the BIOS with since so far, only the MSI "max" B450 models come Ryzen 3000 series ready and in order to update other boards you need BIOS flashback which only a handful of MSI and one or two very high end ASUS B450 boards have.

The MSI B450 Tomahawk, Pro Carbon or one of the "Max" models, would be your choices unless you go with something high end like the ASUS Crossfire Hero.
ha, well none of those boards are mini itx, so rip.