What do you NOT like about Vista?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Dayum look at all these new restrictions in Vista!

http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=36820

Home Basic

* Can't copy ISO to your hard drive
* Can't install to a network server
* You may share files, printers, etc with a maximum of 5 network devices
* You MAY NOT use Remote Desktop, only Remote Assistance
* You MAY NOT use in Virtual PC | Virtual Server |VMWare

Home Premium

* Still can't copy ISO to your hard drive
* Still can't install to a network server
* Sharing for 10 network devices
* Still no Remote Desktop
* Still no virtual hardware
* 5 simultaneous Media Center Extender sessions (up from 3 in MCE 2005)

Ultimate

* Can copy ISO to your hard drive
* Can install to a network server (I'm assuming for Terminal Server scenarios)
* Sharing for 10 network devices
* Can use Remote Desktop
* Can use in a virtualized environment, BUT
* Can't use DRM-protected content if Vista Ultimate is the "guest" OS
* Can't use BitLocker if Vista Ultimate is the "guest" OS
* 5 Media Center Extender sessions

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
And hey, all of those editions will be on the same disk - it's all a matter of what you pay for for what you get. A whole lot of change for change's sake or nice new restrictions. It'd be nice to make use of more than 3GB RAM though (I have 4GB of 1GB sticks in the house right now between 2 machines and another 1GB of 512mb sticks so one has 3GB and one has 2GB).

I'm planning to upgrade to Vista with Dx10 when I can't stand waiting anymore and I must play XXXX which needs Dx10 - assuming no one gets Dx10 to work on XP.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Thats pretty lame that you can't use Remote Desktop with the cheaper versions. I use that almost every day. I'm just glad that I will be getting the Ultimate version through my MSDN at work.

g13man

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
the fact that its over two years late and now my 3.2 gig 64 bit system is considered slow
they dropped features which are being added to linux

f orget 10dx on xp ; how about manufactures continuing 98se support

any good flight sims on linux yet ? lol

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Permissions are such a major pain in Vista.

I realized today the only way to edit files on my XP system was to share the whole darned hard drive (or alternately, at least My Documents and data storage folders). What possessed Microsoft to extend the permissions system to local drives is beyond me. It's so incredibly stupid.

On the other hand, with my XP system I can edit any files in the "Documents" folder in Vista of my profile, but I can't even read the hidden "My Documents" folder. What in the name of God is the point? I know there's stuff I don't know, but this is such an incredible pain in the butt and seems totally illogical. What if your system gets screwy and you want to repair it from another bootable hard drive?

Imagine your semi-computer literate user who gets a Vista machine and manages to pop in his old drive, thinking he'll just be able to get to his files without copying them over. They'll probably just return the machine...

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
1. Windows Vista is just like a 5 year old kid who always ask "Mama, Mama, can i do this" ?
It's always asking your permission when you run softwares or services. Sometimes it's so annoying.

takes two seconds to turn UAC off

MuncherOfSpleens

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
If I can find all of the programs I need (a/v players, DVD burning software, bittorrent app, etc), then I will likely give up on Windows except for gaming (the ones that don't run on Linux anyways).
I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has most of those built in (maybe not bittorrent, try Azureus).

I think that Linux also has no DRM, so I can hopefully play / modify / burn all media without hindrance. Will Linux support full HD (1080p) video (i.e. HD-DVD/BluRay)?
Haha, no. Linux (or Ubuntu at least) won't be able to do that specifically BECAUSE it has no support for DRM. In fact, Ubuntu can't even play MP3's or copy-protected DVD's (by default).

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Windows Vista License Concerns.

Basically means that your allowed one significant upgrade on a license.
Most of us upgrade our comps at least once a year. What a nighmare.

This is my biggest concern.

Actually the changes in the EULA are my biggest concern but the most prevelant is the above quoted.

With the OEM you have 1 install. (keep the same motherboard and maybe hard drive for the life of the computer)

With the retail you have 1 install and one reassignment to a new motherboard or hard drive. Motherboard for sure but maybe hard drive as well, hate to be vague but it is up to Vista....

If we expect to keep Vista for as long as I have had XP then I would have had to buy at least two or three copies of Vista in the last three years!

Which is ridiculous to say the least and much stronger language comes to mind.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Every time I read something about Vista, Ubuntu is looking even more promising :D And guess what, you can run CS:S and steam in WINE with little configuration under Linux.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
well...if you take the time to trim it down by disabling aero/glass and going with the classic shell, not using the sidebar, killing defender and UAC, turning off all the visual enhancements, setting non-essencial services to manual, it might do...but xp will still remain my primary box...xp has a long way to go, with sp3 scheduled to release several years from now lol

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't like the sound of the "One upgrade per license." If this was just "One motherboard upgrade per license", then I might be ok with that. Even then, if it takes another 5 years for MS to come out with windows 2012 and if intel decides to keep socket switching, then I will most likely be upgrading more than once. Does this mean that MS is changing their policy for OSes to one per machine as opposed to the current one per person idea. With XP, you can install it on up to 3 computers (I think), with Vista we will only get 1? And one 1 upgrade with that?!! Or will it be like XP, where I can just call MS and tell them, "hey, I changed my motherboard, can you guys activate my windows for me?"?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah... this is insane. I'm seriously going to switch to Linux if this crap continues. I've been a MS supporter for a while (I mean, they make me a lot of money) but I can't let them do the kind of crap they are doing now and still buy MS products. This is crap.

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

I was trying to convince my self I should upgrade to VISTA anyway....then I discovered a rather disturbing fact: Get this:

* you can upgrade your hardware twice without having to buy the whole OS again ( you can only change the HW once before your vista licence wont ever authenticate again....so, I decide to put in a new Board, harddrive. I guarantee it will authenticate once. What if I fry my MB, build a new PC? (which I've done no less that 7-8 times since Xp came out). Gee, I guess I'll have to shell out $$$ to M$. Not me. XP Forever.
Read this artice from Paul Thurrott's web. We are all basically screwed.
If you like to upgrade, say the latest Video card, memory, ETC...forget it!
Go on...check it out. Sites like THG loves to hawk new hardware...with Vista this is not possible for PC enthusiasts to survive. Basically all the people who faithfully Alpha and beta tested VISTA FREE for microsoft are out in the cold. WE do not count.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah, this has actually already been addressed in the forumz here starwhite: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/-ftopict232556.html. Pretty interesting move on MS' part (interesting and stupid all at the same time).

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
im never buying vista if i cant upgrade my hardware. lately its been a once every two months.

hell i havent been able to get a hard drive that would last more than 4 hours (2 new wds died on me). so what happens when i install vista, then hd dies? if it happens again do i repurchase vista? HELL NO

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
I hate the fluffliness! XP was fluffy to begin with and vista will be even more fluffy. Even in XP when you turn it to 'old school' it still fluffy, hate it. Run red hat and that's slightly fluffy.

Dislike the fact rumors of only having one or two installs on a licence key...Maybe you contact microsoft (similar to XP) and request a new licence key...

If it become too fluffy might have to hit microsoft HQ with frozen baby poo...

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I just have to put my 2 cents in-I HATE Vista. I've dabbled with it since it was
called LH. Because of DRM, I will not support it. Its uneccesary bloatware.
WHY does anyone need to upgrade? Vista's features do not justify the co$t.
I care nothing about DX10. I am sure my games will run fine with XP. Without the extra 10% bloatware effect. Lets see: UAP. An annoying pop up that will drive you absolutley bonkers until you tun it off in user accounts. Or mayb e the so called 'protected mode' of IE 7. Most of Vista's new security features are designed to protect the user from themselves. I do not need this-I am no noob....I KNOW how to protect my PC from experiance. I do not need microsoft taking away my rights within windows. Vista is a sad Joke.

You know what I don't like about Vista? The five or six "Don't like Vista" threads that I keep seeing pop up, and not one of the posters makes a tweak to get around what they don't like about it.

I ranted. Flame me.

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
You know what I don't like about Vista? The five or six "Don't like Vista" threads that I keep seeing pop up, and not one of the posters makes a tweak to get around what they don't like about it.

I ranted. Flame me.

OK - Y'know, I don't know how to program outside of HTML and BASIC (and LOGO ;) ), so of course I'm going to code a tweak or getaround for something I don't like about Vista.

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Honestly speaking, I do not like the MAC like interface, resource hogging,useless features incorporated into the OS,digital rights management ( I' am not paranoid, I KNOW they're watching), high priced,User Account Protection nag screens(Dear GOD, turn it off!), IE 7(a FF rip off), other than that, its just ducky! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.