[SOLVED] What do you suggest i upgrade in my laggy PC?

14edwjar

Reputable
Dec 22, 2019
Specs:
Graphics card: nvidia geforce gtx 1050 ti
Processor: Amd athlon 880k quad core
Ram: 16Gb DDR 3
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-F2A68HM-H FM2+ AMD

At the moment i cant run GTA and sometimes i even lag on games like Brawhalla. Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

Solution
The 2600 is a good chip at the moment. I think it's around $120 or so. Add in an $80 board and 16GBs of ram and you should be just under $300. Will breathe new life into your GPU.

InvalidError

Titan
The Ryzen 2600 should work with any 400-series AMD board out-of-the-box. One of the more popular models is MSI's Tomahawk (preferably the MAX version) for its CPU-less BIOS update capability. The MAX version ships with a larger BIOS chip which allows it to support more generations of AM4 CPUs without having to drop features or compatibility with older chips, it also ships with 3000-series compatible BIOS.

4745454b

Titan
This is the cheapest X470 board I'd consider.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-performance-gaming-x470-gaming-plus/p/N82E16813144177

$134 for the MSI gaming x470.

The cheapest one I'd buy.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119100

$144 for the Asus X470 pro.

If those are too much you can move down to the B450.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157871

Asrock B450M-HDV for $50

Though I'd step up to the Gigabyte B450M-DS3H for $77

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145083

AMD 2600 is $121.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-2600/p/N82E16819113496

Pair it with some ram that is 3200MHz and you should be set.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232181

I actually wouldn't mess with changing out your motherboard, cpu, and ram because that's essentially a new computer. I'd only upgrade what you can move to a newer system that you can purchase when you can afford it.

That being said, if you don't already have an ssd, that might help as any OS interruption is going to cause some lag.

The other thing I would do is upgrade from the 1050Ti. You should feel a pretty solid kick in the pants by moving to an rx 580, and that's decently cheap right now too at well under$200. Just be sure to buy it directly from a retailer like Best Buy as there's LOTS of fakes out there (just what I saw in my quick searches too--yikes!).

This should get you back in the game (hehe) until you can afford to build a new rig, and then you can move your rx 580 to the new one too and continue to enjoy it.

4745454b

Titan
Or, considering the age and lowendness of the Athlon he's using he can spend his $300 that he has now on that "new computer" as you put it. Everything he has should carry over and it will give that 1050TI of his some much needed new legs. I would never considering moving from a 1050TI to a 580 if he's barely got a quad core CPU like he does now. He needs a new core. He's got the money to move to a new core, I'm not sure why anyone would suggest a new GPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I do. Most ppl are under the impression that a better gpu raises fps. Which is total fallacy since the cpu is what sets fps limits. OP could stick a RTX2080ti on that cpu and not see a single frame higher as that 1050ti is more than capable of maxing out anything that old FM2 can give it.

New platform is the only cure.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($56.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $308.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-22 20:29 EST-0500

The other thing I would do is upgrade from the 1050Ti.

Which would do nothing except make the problem worse. The CPU he has now already can't keep up with that lowly 1050 ti, what in the world makes you think it's going to be able to do any better with a higher end graphics card? The only way the graphics card would be the FPS bottleneck would be if there was already a high end CPU in use, which there is not, so this is a pretty senseless recommendation.

Which would do nothing except make the problem worse. The CPU he has now already can't keep up with that lowly 1050 ti, what in the world makes you think it's going to be able to do any better with a higher end graphics card? The only way the graphics card would be the FPS bottleneck would be if there was already a high end CPU in use, which there is not, so this is a pretty senseless recommendation.
I have seen otherwise in my experience, that's why. :rolleyes:

I have plenty of systems from this era and lots of gpus. Plus, the OP said they're not going to blow their entire bank account on a new system, so what else will give you a big boost for $100 that will also be an investment to carry over?

I always hate seeing advice that doesn't address the original requirements--someone asks for an upgrade and gets advice on how they need to trash their system and get a new one. :rolleyes: Happens too often on several different forums. Everyone has restrictions for a reason and they can't just arbitrarily change them.

If a system upgrade is the better route, then this i5-4570 based system for $100 shipped will be a great platform upgrade, and he can just swap over the 1050ti, ram, and storage and be up and running:
https://www.pcliquidations.com/p98308-hp-prodesk-400-g1

4745454b

Titan
Which is fine if he's open to buying used. I used to be a poor college student and did things like that quite often. (considering his age this might be a good idea.)

What kills me is he has a really old system. Athlon 880K came out when? 10+ years ago? He has a modern card, but you are 100% positive that it's the 1050TI that's the problem and needs to be replaced? His board is missing tech like SATA III and PCIe 3, but it's his 1050TI that is causing issues? He's got the money for the core upgrade now and can replace it, but he should spend money on an even faster video card that his CPU has no hope of feeding? Very odd advice.

I have seen otherwise in my experience, that's why. :rolleyes:

I have plenty of systems from this era and lots of gpus. Plus, the OP said they're not going to blow their entire bank account on a new system, so what else will give you a big boost for $100 that will also be an investment to carry over?

I always hate seeing advice that doesn't address the original requirements--someone asks for an upgrade and gets advice on how they need to trash their system and get a new one. :rolleyes: Happens too often on several different forums. Everyone has restrictions for a reason and they can't just arbitrarily change them.

If a system upgrade is the better route, then this i5-4570 based system for $100 shipped will be a great platform upgrade, and he can just swap over the 1050ti, ram, and storage and be up and running:
https://www.pcliquidations.com/p98308-hp-prodesk-400-g1

I always hate advice from people who clearly don't understand how the hardware works and interrelates with each other, regardless of how many boxes full of parts they might have.

Which is fine if he's open to buying used. I used to be a poor college student and did things like that quite often. (considering his age this might be a good idea.)

What kills me is he has a really old system. Athlon 880K came out when? 10+ years ago? He has a modern card, but you are 100% positive that it's the 1050TI that's the problem and needs to be replaced? His board is missing tech like SATA III and PCIe 3, but it's his 1050TI that is causing issues? He's got the money for the core upgrade now and can replace it, but he should spend money on an even faster video card that his CPU has no hope of feeding? Very odd advice.
While old, it's single thread faster than a lot of Athlon stuff out there--which even surprised me:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...ntel-i5-2400-vs-Intel-i7-2600K/2747vs793vs868

I have several i5-680 based systems that with a solid gpu are quite acceptable since people with lga1366 stuff are still gaming:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...el-i5-680-vs-Intel-Xeon-W3680/2747vs771vs1274

The only real drawback with the cpu is the lack of 4 real cores which can hamper things today. A cpu architecture upgrade is needed for a long-term solution, but money is tight so whaddagonnadoo?

It would be one thing if he was having major stuttering, but a once in a while lag is indicating the cpu is getting interrupted. If the gpu isn't able to process enough graphics fast enough, it would be interrupting the cpu. Of course, a simple os request can do the same thing, hence an ssd might help more than a gpu.

My cousin has an fx-6100 based system that was having terrible speed issues. I thought a processor upgrade and gpu was going to be essential. Nope, it was an SSD and a simple ram upgrade that made that system zip, and with a single thread performance much less than the 880k.

I always hate advice from people who clearly don't understand how the hardware works and interrelates with each other, regardless of how many boxes full of parts they might have.
I know the architecture of PCs since they were invented and understand how they've evolved for decades now. I was building stuff that would have been ridiculously fast as gaming systems back in the day, but they were made for work. There's nothing special about a gaming system--it's just parts assembled for the right task.

People who are ignorant of the truth or the facts, or people who just want to be right and don't care what the reality is, usually do strongly disagree. It's not surprising, at all.
I can't believe someone with such an attitude is a moderator--it really reflects poorly on the whole site. Your opinions aren't facts no matter how much you think they are, just as mine aren't facts and are just my experience. ymmv.

What reflects poorly on the site, honestly, is low quality answers and moderators that don't care enough to do something about it. That is why Reddit and most other forums are a cesspool. If you want to post anything you like with no expectation that there will be a point at which your answers will be censured or at least questioned, I suggest you post there. If you post here, and your post is questionable, it's going to be questioned or refuted. It's as simple as that. And on that note, we will stop having this discussion regarding your tendency towards low quality answers, here.

If you wish to discuss it further you can of course send me a PM and I'll be happy to clarify things for you or discuss your grievance. Otherwise, let's get back on topic.

Duty noted--moderators opinions are the only opinions that matter here. I don't know even know why a xenforo system was chosen for the community platform as lithium would have been better for a 'help desk' community.

I'll just let you handle all the questions with your factual opinions (as it seems to be the case anyways) since you seem to know it all. C-ya.