What do you think of this system?

KidA39

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Hi all! long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyways, it's time for a new PC build and after countless hours researching here is what I'm thinking...

Corsair Vengeance C70
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX 9370 w/ Corsair Hydro 100i
16GB Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3-1866
Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD (already own)
ASUS Strix GTX-970 4GB (already own)
EVGA Supernova 850G2 PSU (already own)
Samsung 27" S27D590 1920x1080 (already own)

So, why this build? First and foremost it'll be a gaming computer (currently playing Elite: Dangerous and iRacing, Project CARS when it's out), second it will record music (but not for a while yet). One of the things I've considered with this build is that with my last one it was done on a budget and now that I want to upgrade I can't without a whole new system...I've pretty much maxed out my case and mobo. I want room to maneuver and I think this case and motherboard will help me there. Why the 9370, you ask? Well, when it comes to the recording stuff I think the eight cores will be useful and the speed and ability to overclock with the Hydro will be great for multiple tracks and effects (I will be adding more RAM and storage when it's time). Secondary benefit to this is that the 9370 will be enough when I choose to get a second GTX-970 and run three 2560x1440 monitors.

So, here are my questions for you good folks...

1. What are your thoughts on this build? I accept any form of thoughts, suggestions, praise, criticism, and diatribes.

2. Is the 9370 overkill for my purposes, I don't mind spending the money on it but would the 8350 or 8370 suffice? (Note: I'm sticking with AMD here, it's always been good value for the money in my previous builds.)

3. Cooling - When it comes time to add a second GPU will I need to liquid cool or will a couple of chassis fans be enough?

Thanks for your time and answers!

Nick

The Ether Bunny

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Go Intel. AMD is so outclassed in every aspect today. 8 core or not a bottom-of-the-line i7 would crush it. And use less power and produce less heat. I know people like "brand loyalty" but a superior product is a superior product.

As far as a second GPU goes, the Strix is pretty good at cooling. You can go water cooling if you want to spend a fair chunk of cash but it is not necessary.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The 9370 is nothing more than an 8350 on steroids, wouldn't waste the money on it or the much higher PSU it calls for. If wanting AMD go the 8350 or 8370 both will OC and perform on a par with the 9370 and use far less watts...or better yet go Intel - I have both and there's no comparison, Intel is far better

KidA39

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
I've thought about Intel and read every forum post and article and yes, it's a superior product. But everytime I look at intel stuff it adds at least $200 to my rig and I'm already maxing out with this. I feel the 9370 (or 8370) with the Hydro is a cheaper option and the water cooling should help make it more energy efficient. And yes, I've always had AMD and never has any real issues with their products.