What Does The Future Hold For AMD's Mantle?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

that good guy won't do that if they have the leader position in the market.

I didn't mean to imply "cross-console" Renz. Sony and Microsoft could support Mantle for "Console <--> PC" game engines, simplifying 'ports' across those platforms.

Presumably, developers would charge Sony and Microsoft less, increasing S&M 'margins' for console titles sold, while simplifying game development cross-platform 'ports' and reducing their own ultimate costs and support (from patching buggy titles).

i think you put it on the wrong party. game developer probably interested with the idea but not console maker like sony. why would sony care about porting PS title to PC? if anything they want you to buy the game on their platform and ultimately tied yourself to their ecosystem. as for MS since PC gamer largely play on windows based machine isn't it better for the game to use directx to begin with? even their console low level API is based on directx. there is no need to create more complex situation where they need to support other API than their own to make porting between console and PC much easier.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Mantle is cool and all , dx12 coming soon is cool and all , but I'm still scratching my head over some decision's of AMD's. What happened to AMD making their own GPU based physics processing to compete with Nvidia PhysX. there are still games that make use of PhysX , and still new games being made to make use of it. I wish AMD had not abandoned those plans.
even better yet what happened to the company that was claiming they would have a dedicated real time Ray tracing card ready for the market in 2014 ? it's been 2 years since I heard about that one and well 2014 has come and gone with nothing popping up.

What happened to AMD making their own GPU based physics processing to compete with Nvidia PhysX

Bullet Physic? with bullet the effect will be possible on both AMD and Nvidia gpu because the gpu portion will be based on OpenCL. but ultimately developer did not really care for it. what AMD expects from Bullet was with the presence of Bullet developer will choose bullet over physx by their own will because bullet was should be vendor neutral. i think the problem was AMD wants developer to use the feature without being pushed by anyone. we always heard about developer aiming for same experience on all platform. that's mean they want their game to have the same experience regardless it is on PC or console. some PC gamer might not like that part but that's how it is. in the end even AMD admit that developer are not interested with GPU physic. it is a feature that need to be pushed by GPU maker on the PC for game developer to use it. without initiatives from GPU maker game developer have no reason to spend resource making a feature that is limited to PC. hence with TressFX AMD changed their direction a bit. instead of let developer choose for themselves they 'sponsored' them to use the feature. that's why we did not see TressFX outside Gaming Evolve title much like we don't see GPU PhysX outside TWIMTBP games.

even better yet what happened to the company that was claiming they would have a dedicated real time Ray tracing card ready for the market in 2014 ?

did you mean Imagination Technologies?

Status
Not open for further replies.