What does the "System Memory MHz" value on a CPU mean?

Jan 13, 2019
(I'm not entirely sure if this is supposed to go on Memory or CPUs.)

I've recently gotten a new ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Ti graphics card for my computer, but I only have single channel DDR4-2400 MHz 8GB RAM, which I've heard isn't enough for my card. I'm planning on getting dual channel DDR4-3200 MHz (the only speed above 3000 MHz that my motherboard supports) 16GB (2 x 8 GB) memory (I've even chosen the RAM that I want), but I don't know if my CPU will support it. The reason is because the CPU specs under the "System Memory" section on amd.com say "System Memory Specification: 2667MHz" (which I know actually means 2666 MHz). Does this mean that the CPU won't be able to support DDR4-3200 MHz memory? Or does this value mean that the CPU cache is 266[strike]7[/strike]6 MHz? Or is it something else entirely?

EDIT: Here are my current computer specs on pcpartpicker.com

The issue isn't that 8GB is not enough...is that dual channel performs better.
Do you have any issues while playing using the 8GB single channel RAM?
By the way you should select RAM from the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) from the motherboard manufacturer.
1st Gen Ryzen is a little finicky with RAM compatibility. If you select RAM that has not been tested to run at 3200MHz on your motherboard it could revert back to 2666MHz, 2400MHz, 2133MHz or might not even work.
I suggest you select a kit that has been tested to work on that motherboard like the G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) Model F4-2400C15D-16GTZRX

Jan 13, 2019

Yes, I am indeed having issues with what I believe is my RAM (according to an answer to another post I made). As the linked post says, I am having trouble running Beat Saber (Oculus Rift Store Version), and the answer was that I need more RAM: specifically 16GB dual channel and above 3000 MHz (I would want DDR4-3200 MHz). Do I really need to pick RAM from the QVL? Also, again, what does the "System Memory Specification" thing mean?

[strike]EDIT: I'll also probably just buy the RAM that I was already planning on buying and return it if doesn't work.[/strike]

With that CPU you will not see a difference between 2666MHz and 3200MHz.
It is more important compatibility than speed...for that reason you should select RAM from the QVL. Otherwise you might end-up with RAM running at lower speed than specified.
I have never seen a game requirement that specifies the speed of the RAM.
Isn't Beat Saber in beta?

You don't have to select RAM from the QVL but you might not be able to run such RAM at specified speed.

As k1114 stated above, is the native speed supported by the CPU (DDR4 / 2667MHz / Dual CHannel) anything above is considered overclocked memory and that is why you should select tested RAM from the QVL to make sure it will run at specified speed.

Jan 13, 2019

All I know is what that post said to do. Apparently, 8GB single channel at DDR4-2400 MHz isn't enough for the 1070 Ti, so I need 16GB now (according to the answer at that link). EDIT: The answer was also unclear as to which one of the specifications of the RAM needs to be upgraded.

I read what the post says but that is not how it works.
"8GB single channel at DDR4-2400 MHz isn't enough for the 1070 Ti,..." This statement does not make sense.
It should be "8GB single channel at DDR4-2400 MHz isn't enough for a particular app or game."

Also if you get DDR4-2666MHz and DDR4-3200MHz and you test it in your PC you will not see a difference whatsoever while playing games.
But if you get OC RAM that is not tested to work at that speed on your motherboard then it might default to a lower speed or it might not even boot.

Jan 13, 2019

Ok, I will wait to buy RAM. If my RAM isn't necessarily what's causing Beat Saber to lag, do you have an idea of what I could do to get it to stop lagging? Like a new CPU? (I'm fine with even upgrading my motherboard for that.) Or should I re-post on the "Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality" category? My Computer isn't even a year old (it is about a month away from being that), so I could probably easily re-sell my parts and buy more. My budget for spending minus the money I would make from re-selling is ~$400-$500.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try a different Nvidia driver. 417.35 has problems.

Try 417.22 or the latest.

Or try 417.58 beta driver addressing issues 417.35 has. Im currently using these with a 1080Ti and happy with the performance vs .35.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1091660/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-417-58-released-12-28-18-/

Jan 13, 2019

No. It barely lags on any other game in comparison to Beat Saber. I have a feeling that it's because the "room" that you play in is so big.

Jan 13, 2019

Thank you! I will try this.