[SOLVED] What driver for internal to external DVD Player SATA to USB

Oct 18, 2021
Dear reader/professional/helper,

I m trying to use an old DVD-Rewriter (LG GH22NS30) with a SATA to USB (FantexcUSB to SATA Adapter, external power suply 12V/2A included) on a Windows 10 Pro System. The error I get is an "Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)" in the Device Manager. Windows can not find a Driver for it, LG doesnt has a driver for it on there website. Is there anything I can do? Was the SATA-USB Adapter a waste of money? Did I just become old fashioned?

I will be grateful for your help, thank you.

Solution
try connecting a known working disc drive to this extender and see if it is accessible.
if not, the adapter just doesn't work correctly and should just be returned.
if so, then you may just want to return the adapter anyway because it won't allow you to achieve the intended purpose.

you can get an external USB DVD-RW for very cheap these days.
i think my ASUS USB DVD-RW was ~$30 like 4-5 years ago.
try connecting a known working disc drive to this extender and see if it is accessible.
if not, the adapter just doesn't work correctly and should just be returned.
if so, then you may just want to return the adapter anyway because it won't allow you to achieve the intended purpose.

you can get an external USB DVD-RW for very cheap these days.
i think my ASUS USB DVD-RW was ~$30 like 4-5 years ago.

Solution
Oct 18, 2021
Cool! First time I posted some thing and I became an answer! Didn t expect somebody would notice my problem. Thank you JohnBonhamsGhost. Because of you, I don t feel like a lost IP in the unendless Stream of data.

I really liked your proposal, simple and brilliant, it didn t occur to me that the SATA-USB could be the problem. So I tried it with a HDD, and it works perfect. The problem is not the USB-SATA.

About the portable DVD-RW, I thought I could reduce my footprint by re-using some thing old, didn t really realize that a SATA to USB costs probably the same amount of Energy to produce as a portable DVD-RW :( well.. at least I tried.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost