[SOLVED] What exactly does xmp do?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I ask becauser I ran a userbenchmark test to test my new ram. 32 gb gskill trident z ddr4 at 4000mhz. I enabled xmp in the bios and my memory ran at 4000mhz. Then I saw a seperate setting under the dram and xmp was disabled there. I saw this because the ram was performing below expectations according to userbenchmark. I enabled the xmp under dram and now when running a benchmark I get a strange screeching noise but my memory is now performing above expectations.

Solution
How does that affect the memorys performance, setting only the xmp profile and not under dram? I meam if it runs at 4000mhz probably not to much of a difference if dram xmp is enabled?
Sometimes updating the bios to the latest includes better memory/system compability and stability, it's worth the try. And if it perfroms differently, it might be you pick another timing when you enable dram xmp. based on what you wrote it happens after you enable xmp on dram options, not the profile.
I ask becauser I ran a userbenchmark test to test my new ram. 32 gb gskill trident z ddr4 at 4000mhz. I enabled xmp in the bios and my memory ran at 4000mhz. Then I saw a seperate setting under the dram and xmp was disabled there. I saw this because the ram was performing below expectations according to userbenchmark. I enabled the xmp under dram and now when running a benchmark I get a strange screeching noise but my memory is now performing above expectations.
What are your pc specs? I usually dont do userbenchmark, instead i use Aida64 benchmark for memory. userbenchmark is also inaccurate, i never personally trusted them, since it's "userbenchmark" which there is alot of user with the same ram but different tunings, setups, etc.

XMP= Xtreme Memory Profile. Profile that are stored in the ram SPD Chip, usually for higher speed ram and tighter latency on lower speed (depends on the kit). It doesn'tt run on JEDEC specs so you must enable it manually to use the profile/settings.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
What are your pc specs? I usually dont do userbenchmark, instead i use Aida64 benchmark for memory. userbenchmark is also inaccurate, i never personally trusted them, since it's "userbenchmark" which there is alot of user with the same ram but different tunings, setups, etc.

XMP= Xtreme Memory Profile. Profile that are stored in the ram SPD Chip, usually for higher speed ram and tighter latency on lower speed (depends on the kit). It doesn'tt run on JEDEC specs so you must enable it manually to use the profile/settings.
I9 10900k
Msi z590 edge
Gigabyte 3070ti
Seagate firecuda 520 1tb nvme
Nzxt kraken x63 for cpu cooling
Seasonic 850 gm 80+ gold psu
32 gb gskill trident z ddr4 4000mhz

It seems this noise is reported by others online when enabling xmp. It doesnt happen under load in demanding games on ultra settings. Should I worry about it? Is it maybe just some kind of coil wine?

I9 10900k
Msi z590 edge
Gigabyte 3070ti
Seagate firecuda 520 1tb nvme
Nzxt kraken x63 for cpu cooling
Seasonic 850 gm 80+ gold psu
32 gb gskill trident z ddr4 4000mhz

It seems this noise is reported by others online when enabling xmp. It doesnt happen under load in demanding games on ultra settings. Should I worry about it? Is it maybe just some kind of coil wine?
You could try to update the bios to the latest, put the ram on slot 2 and 4 (if its 2 ram sticks), and set XMP Profile only (not under dram).

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
You could try to update the bios to the latest, put the ram on slot 2 and 4 (if its 2 ram sticks), and set XMP Profile only (not under dram).
How does that affect the memorys performance, setting only the xmp profile and not under dram? I meam if it runs at 4000mhz probably not to much of a difference if dram xmp is enabled?

Sometimes updating the bios to the latest includes better memory/system compability and stability, it's worth the try. And if it perfroms differently, it might be you pick another timing when you enable dram xmp. based on what you wrote it happens after you enable xmp on dram options, not the profile.

Solution

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
So strange. Now whenever I disable xmp under dram and save the configuration if I run a benchmark or boot into the bios the dram xmp is enabled again.