[SOLVED] What exactly is the correct order of partitions in GPT disk?

vsrawat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
I bought a new 500 GB SSD.

I used EasyUS partition magager to make it GPT and then created 4 partitions (80+80+130+130) plus I saw that there was a small partition, some 300 MB at the start of the disk.

Then I went to install W8.1 on it, but that said "partitions are not in correct order". Though it could proceed, I wanted that error to be removed.

I searched on net, and used DISKPART to "CLEAN" that ssd, and went again to install W8.1 on that clean, empty disk. It duly installed W8.1 creating required partition, and "didn't" give the "partitions are not in correct order" message.

Then I went to install W10 on the same SSD.

But, right at the time of selecting the partition to install that (actually empty space in which it could have created another partition), it showed "partitions are not in correct order" message again.

So I am stuck.

Windows gives that error in an already partitioned disk, and windows itself doesn't create partitions that could be in correct order.

1. What exactly is the correct order of partitions on a GPT disk
  2. Which software would create that correct order.
  3. What are the steps of achieving that correct order?

--
As an aside, my 1TB hdd is giving that "partitions are not in correct order" ever since (some 4 years), though everything is working fine. When it doesn't affect anything really, why doesn't MS just stops that bogie error message?
--
I also have another non-SSD 500 GB HDD which has 128 MB marked (Other), then 7 GB unallocated space, then two partitions of 90 GB each (W8.1 and w10), then 522 MB (NTFS), and then two data partitions of some 140 GB each, and it is working correctly ever since and "doesn't" give that "partitions are not in correct order" message. I don't remember what I had done at that time to accomplish this.

Thanks.

Solution
It's just because the installation sees a previous version of windows so it warns you because messing with partitions is always dangerous and the installation could destroy everything, you can just ignore that warning and install windows normally.
Is there some way of installing more than one OS on the same disk wihout getting that error?
Yup, just use virtual hard drives, that way you keep your disk in one part so you don't loose any space and you can have as many Os as you can fit on the disk.

USAFRet

Titan
Why are you trying to create the partition before the OS install?
That should be done with a totally blank drive. The OS install will create what it needs.

And it needs to be installed with only the ONE drive physically connected.

You are making this way more complex than it needs to be.

vsrawat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
As I said, I had first done with partitions already created through EaseUS.

But when it gave the "not correct order" error, I had used DISKPART to remove everything from the SSD. I had CLEANED it, so no partition, no formatting was there.

Then I had installed w8.1 and it duly installed that on the SSD and didn't give the error message.

But when I proceeded to install W10 also on the same SSD on a new partition, it came back to show the error message. So, you are right that it works on a blank SSD, that I had seen it install W8.1 without giving the error message.

But what about multiboot SSD/ HD? I want to have w8.1 as well as W10 on the same disk and I want to be able to boot from and work in either.

Does that mean that once it has installed W8.1, that SSD became paritioned, so is not blank, so the error will be shown?

Does that mean we can install only a single OS on an entire SSD/HDD of 500 GB or 1 TB.

That is an odd limitation. Most of the users would like to install more than one OS on the same drive. say, to try and test newly launched W11, while a stable working 10/ 8.1 is there sidewise to fall back in case of anything breaking down in other OS.

And as I said, I had other 500 GB HDD, in which w10 and w8.1 are installed and working for some 3-4 years and I don't remember it showing that "not correct order" message.

Is there some way of installing more than one OS on the same disk wihout getting that error?

Thanks.

vsrawat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
and of course, only the pen drive and the said SSD were connected at time.

I was not aware that this was a pre-condition, but I had anyhow disconnected my other HDDs as I didn't want Windows boot menu to show any other os at that time (that I can add later with EasyBCd), and this SSD should be bootable to either O.S. as standalone.

Thanks.

It's just because the installation sees a previous version of windows so it warns you because messing with partitions is always dangerous and the installation could destroy everything, you can just ignore that warning and install windows normally.
Yup, just use virtual hard drives, that way you keep your disk in one part so you don't loose any space and you can have as many Os as you can fit on the disk.

Solution
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

This is the recommended layout for GPT disk.

dep-win10-partitions-uefi.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions