What format should I get my boot drive in?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So I think I've been convinced to wait for the 1080ti and new monitors so that I can make the jump to 4k. In the meantime, I think I want to get a new motherboard, ram, cpu and boot drive before I can no longer get the free upgrade from win 7 to win 10.

I have been thinking about this board for a long time.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130870

And also thinking about a 6700k

and 16x2 ddr4 ram in the fastest speeds I can find

I am a bit thrown off with m.2 and the other possible options for a new boot drive. Seems like there are pci express options too and I don't know if there is anything usb or sata at similar speeds.

Looking for some basic information to pick a format from so that I can then narrow down what model to buy.

Thanks.

Solution
it depends on how fast you need your SSD to be and how much you want to spend on one. SSD with SATA 3 connections seem to be enough for most people and M2 connections on motherbords could be either using SATA or PCIE bus. but PCIE SSD drives will offer the fastest transfer rates but are the most expensive SSD drives. out there.
it depends on how fast you need your SSD to be and how much you want to spend on one. SSD with SATA 3 connections seem to be enough for most people and M2 connections on motherbords could be either using SATA or PCIE bus. but PCIE SSD drives will offer the fastest transfer rates but are the most expensive SSD drives. out there.

Solution