Question What GPU for 144/120hz gaming at 3440x1440? Help plese :)

GorrakSmashSkull

Reputable
May 12, 2019
Hi.
I am planning on buying what I believe will be a fantastic monitor, the LG 34GK950F-B or its G-Sync equivalent.

I am currently running a R9 390 Nitro that has been awesome, but now I think I might need an upgrade for the larger resolution and refresh rate, so what do I buy?
VR proofing could also be a thing...

Suggestions please!!!

PS I Enjoy driving sims and open world games. I do not play much competitively but would really like smooth VR in the future. Then again I also like to keep the change in my pocket, so you can see the dilemma!

Last edited:
First of all, what's your BUDGET by the way ? If you can afford to buy one of the high-end RTX TURING GPUs, then it would be much better, RTX 2080/2080 Ti/2070 etc, if using a GSYNC compatible monitor.. Do you also have a compatible PSU with you ? List the model number of your current power supply unit.

Okay. That's an excellent high quality PSU model, so no worries here. Regarding the GPU, it will depend on which Monitor you are going to grab. But I would still recommend you to get the RTX 2080 Ti. Assuming you have the budget.

RTX 2080 Ti is the fastest single GAMING GPU currently in the market. It's going to be more future-proof as well, IMO. Though, it is mostly recommended for 4K resolution monitors.

GorrakSmashSkull

Reputable
May 12, 2019
My monitor choice at the moment hinges on this GPU question.
I can get Gsync @ 120hz or FreeSync @144hz
Same monitor otherwise.

2080ti seems like a great choice, but what about loosing the last 24 hz?

PS where the hell are you AMD? You have never been THIS absent from the top end

2080ti seems like a great choice, but what about loosing the last 24 hz?

PS where the hell are you AMD? You have never been THIS absent from the top end

I don't think 24Hz is going to make a very huge difference in Gaming though ? And yes, AMD has been absent from the high-end GPU market segment. The Radeon 7 GPU wasn't a very worthy contender either, and high-end NAVI GPUs are not going to launch this year.

Most probably next year, 2020, if AMD follows it's own roadmap. That's a big IF though. NAVI is still using the same refined GCN architecture though. So I I'm not expecting miracles out of it, lol. BTW, I'm not saying the R7 is a bad card, but Nvidia still dominates the high-end GPU market.

Their cards are even more power efficient as well, compared to AMD

Last edited:
Hi.
I am planning on buying what I believe will be a fantastic monitor, the LG 34GK950F-B or its G-Sync equivalent.

I am currently running a R9 390 Nitro that has been awesome, but now I think I might need an upgrade for the larger resolution and refresh rate, so what do I buy?
VR proofing could also be a thing...

Suggestions please!!!

PS I Enjoy driving sims and open world games. I do not play much competitively but would really like smooth VR in the future. Then again I also like to keep the change in my pocket, so you can see the dilemma!

There is only one choice.

The RTX 2080Ti.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Back in the day, amd was more energy efficient than nvidia, right about the time of pcie 2.2. AMD cards used to eat Nvidia's best for breakfast. Cards like the X1900 were top gaming models. Then nvidia got better after absorbing companies like 3dfx etc and put all those engineers to work.

Nvidia finally got off its duff and it's insistence on proprietaryism and current drivers finally can use adaptive v-sync on some freesync monitor models, and it's a growing list, so chances are good that the models listed above are now nvidia compatible.

For 1440p UW resolutions, the rule is go Big or go home, that means a 2080ti if you want above 120fps pretty consistently or a 2080 if you are happy with 80-120 ish.

TRENDING THREADS