Question What GPU should I buy next?

Dec 2, 2023
Hi everyone.
So I just cameback from the store and got a refund from them, since my last GPU a gigabyte rtx 3060ti went puff. Something wrong with the fans and they couldnt fix it.
I had this card for a year and I loved it.

So now im without a GPU and currently thinking of buying a 4060ti. The prices in my country (Portugal) are not that bad, and I do wanna purchase it in my country, just cuz of warantee issues.
This is my main option right now: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Gaming OC 16GB which costs 484.90 euros (promo going on right now).
There is also this one: MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti GAMING X SLIM 16GB buts its like more 100 euros than the one mentioned before.
btw i only play at 1080p. So no need for a 4070, and the price is kinda up there as well.

But the thing is... Is the MSI brand better? Is 3 or 2 fans better? Im more inclined to have 3 fans cuz of the heat in the summer and the noise.
Also, I have heard that the 4060 has less memory bus (?!) than the 3060? What does this mean?

I have heard mix reviews everywhere I look. So I figured I should just ask around here. I appreciate any kind of comment about these GPU. Just wanna know more and make a good decision.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Of the 40 series nvidia cards the 4070 is the only one that is appealing, personally. The 4060ti often gets outperformed by the older 3060ti although it does have twice the vram. DLSS 3 is not really applicable in your case as you are at 1080p and it really requires a higher resolution to be effective in terms of image quality.

Does it have to be nvidia as you would be likely better off going for an AMD card. Not sure on the pricing of either a previous 6800xt or a 7700xt type level. You will not get the Ray tracing boost of the nvidia cards but in pure rastererisation then you could get more for your money.

What type of games are you playing? Can you also list your system specs including PSU?

Dec 2, 2023
Hello there.

I do get what you are saying. Idk why I rather use Nvidia. Maybe because im used to it and it feels familiar? Dumb reason I know. Never bought an AMD in my life because people always said they had bad drivers and the support on cards arent as good. So I dont really have any knowlodge or experience with AMD.

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 - 11700F 2.5ghz
32 gb ram 3200 hmz
MB: micro atx gigabyte B560M Aoros Pro
PSU: Gibabyte P750GM 750W 80plus gold
and with 2 ssds.

A lot of components are gigabyte because its part of a pack when i first bought the PC at really good price.

Dec 2, 2023
Just saw a timed promotion of a Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Dual OC 12GB for like 620 euros. Im super into this one. Which allows me in the future to upgrade my monitor to one with a higher resolution, right?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
To be honest a lot of people have always had nvidia and so they continue to stick with what they know. The majority of my cards have been nvidia but on my next upgrade I will be looking at both brands closely to see what I feel is best for my situation. I have helped a couple of friends recently and put AMD cards into both of their systems as it was the best option for their needs.

The driver concerns from my understanding are now a thing of the past and there are some competitive cards out there with some good prices. You mentioned the 4060 ti at around 500 euro but something like the 7700xt is about the same price and the performance is significantly better ~around 15 - 20%. I am in the UK so have limited knowledge of pricing in Portugal but from looking on line the pricing is similar.

Do you have a maximum budget as the 7800xt can be had for about 600 euro and that is another significant step up. Performance is on par with the 4070.

Dec 2, 2023
To be honest a lot of people have always had nvidia and so they continue to stick with what they know. The majority of my cards have been nvidia but on my next upgrade I will be looking at both brands closely to see what I feel is best for my situation. I have helped a couple of friends recently and put AMD cards into both of their systems as it was the best option for their needs.

The driver concerns from my understanding are now a thing of the past and there are some competitive cards out there with some good prices. You mentioned the 4060 ti at around 500 euro but something like the 7700xt is about the same price and the performance is significantly better ~around 15 - 20%. I am in the UK so have limited knowledge of pricing in Portugal but from looking on line the pricing is similar.

Do you have a maximum budget as the 7800xt can be had for about 600 euro and that is another significant step up. Performance is on par with the 4070.
yeah i can go to at least 650 euros. Like my previous comment said, i found a Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Dual OC 12GB for like 620 euros. And from what I can see yeah the prices are super similar. The 7800 is even a little bit more expensive in some cases o.o

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Just saw a timed promotion of a Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Dual OC 12GB for like 620 euros. Im super into this one. Which allows me in the future to upgrade my monitor to one with a higher resolution, right?
The 4070 is a good card. The 12gb of VRAM is concerning to some people but at 1080p you will be fine and likely be ok at 1440p depending on the game and if you are potentially willing to sacrifice some settings in the future. At up to 650 euro I would either go for the 4070 or a 6800xt.

I can see you prefer nvidia which is fine and either card will give you great performance.

Reactions: congas22
Dec 2, 2023
The 4070 is a good card. The 12gb of VRAM is concerning to some people but at 1080p you will be fine and likely be ok at 1440p depending on the game and if you are potentially willing to sacrifice some settings in the future. At up to 650 euro I would either go for the 4070 or a 6800xt.

I can see you prefer nvidia which is fine and either card will give you great performance.
thanks a bunch for your help mate. From all the people I have talked, you are the only one who care to actually explain things.

Have a great christmas! :D

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
My 2 cents for what it’s worth. I just bought an rx 6800xt tonight from Newegg (I’m located in the USA) for $439.99. Same cards just went back up in price to $479.99 after the sale ended.

I looked at the 4070, nice cards, but right now the cheapest 4070 I can touch is $559.99. That’s with a 6% off.

There we are talking at least 80 bucks extra. I looked at the 7800xt, but the cheapest of those is like $529.99 and performance of the 6800xt and 7800xt is basically a tie.

Anyway, what I’m really saying is I get the familiarity aspect. In my mind however it came down ultimately to money. When the cards perform almost the same and are about $100 apart, if it’s the same for you, ultimately you have to be the one to determine if that’s right for you.

Nvidia does have an advantage in ray tracing hands down. If you want to play games with ray tracing get the nvidia card. The amd cards might do it but it may be more like a 2000 series nvidia card on that point.

However, for me, if ray tracing is kind of a side thing, all games may not really implement it, and other aspects of performance are the same, then the next question to ask is how long will you keep the card. That’s where the amount of vram comes in.

If this is going to be say a 2 year card, buy the nvidia. If this is going to be a 3-5 year card, look more heavily at amd I think due to the extra vram. Games are just getting bigger and bigger and more complex all the time with developers not seeming to get the idea of optimizing, or not being able to.

Where that might matter to you is if you go up in resolution to say 1440p on a $600 dollar card, and for that money you should be able to run that resolution well, in a year or so when nvidia comes out with a new generation of cards, and the games need more vram, it may be you are dialing back quality settings solder even though having paid more for the nvidia than amd.

The other side of that is people might say well nvidia has dlss, and yes it’s true they do, but remember when they launched dlss 3 and locked the 2000 series cards out of that feature?

I’m already hearing rumors of a 5090. So in the next year or two they could be launching a new liner and 4000 series will be old hat. Will there be features like dlss or AI they hold back?

AMD on the other hand just launched fsr 3, and it even supports nvidia gpus and has given some of those a new lease on life or could of games support it. Plus the extra vram held on the amd cards.

Again totally up to you, but you might pay more for relatively short term advantages with nvidia. I will state a friend of mine made the jump from an rtx 3090 to an rx 7900xtx and is very happy with it.

AMD may have a couple of issues with drivers, but the last couple of years they’ve really improved. I don’t really notice driver issues myself. In some ways some of the stuff is laid out better.

If it makes you feel better I have been an amd user since the 90s and just built my first Intel box for gaming. So things work slightly different but I’m happy so far.

Anyway I’ve rambled on enough. The nvidia card has some definite strengths going for it. Either of the cards in question should be great and serve you well.

Merry Christmas!

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
Performance of the cards being discussed are all within the same performance tier according to tom's gpu hierarchy chart:

The underlying chips for 4060 class cards all come from the same source, namely nvidia.
Individual makers add fancy coolers or factory overclocks to differentiate.
The number/type of fans will be appropriate to the gpu and factory overclock.
You get fair value from factory overclocks, but I would avoid the very highest overclocks; buy a stronger card instead.

The amount of vram will also be appropriate to the card.

There are no bad decisions here.
I find that when faced with a quality vs. price issue, I never regret paying more for the better option.
The satisfaction of a cheaper price is temporary, but the second guessing lasts much longer if I buy the lesser product.

There is a difference between the Nvidia and AMD graphics driver environment.
I would stick with the one you know best.

TRENDING THREADS