[SOLVED] What GPU should I get? (Software Engineer/Light Gaming)

TiernO

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
So right now I am rocking:

Intel i7 8700
16GB DDR4 RAM 3000MHz
750W PSU

My current GPU is (don't laugh) an R9 280.

Right now I am using 2 of these monitors: https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VX238H/
My long term goal is to upgrade to 3 monitors that are a lot more modern, lower power consumption, less of a bezel, and can rotate to vertical orientation(for coding). I'm not sure if upgrading the resolution to 1440 or 4k will be a benefit for what I use it for, but I'm sure people here can inform me of that.

So yeah, lots of coding, mobile emulators and light gaming on PC(pretty much minecraft) and on Xbox (Fifa and Cod). I don't want to get a monster of a GPU if i'm not going to make full use of it.

Let me know, appreciate it.

Solution
Hello, i'm a software engineering student as well and a gamer. I would like to touch a bit on the screens. The size would matter more (ahem). I would recommend getting a 27 inch monitor or dual 24 inch monitor is fine as well. So with your current setup, it's up to you whether you think it's beneficial in gaming because coding wise, i dont think it matters. 24 inch is already comfortable enough imo for coding. As for the gpu, either a 2060 super or 2070 super if you're planning for ultra graphics for the next couple of years (it's also safer for 1440p upgrade in the future). If you dont feel like ultra graphics is that important, gtx 1660 ti or rtx 2060 is good as well. Oh yeah i skipped rtx 2070 because they're not in production...

Intel i7 8700
16GB DDR4 RAM 3000MHz
750W PSU

My long term goal is to upgrade to 3 monitors that are a lot more modern, lower power consumption, less of a bezel, and can rotate to vertical orientation(for coding). I'm not sure if upgrading the resolution to 1440 or 4k will be a benefit for what I use it for, but I'm sure people here can inform me of that.

So yeah, lots of coding, mobile emulators and light gaming on PC(pretty much minecraft) and on Xbox (Fifa and Cod). I don't want to get a monster of a GPU if i'm not going to make full use of it.

if i were u i would get RTX 3070 for 500$.It can handle 4k on 3 monitors easily.Wouldnt need to replace it for 5 years

Intel i7 8700
16GB DDR4 RAM 3000MHz
750W PSU

2560x1440p-60Hz?

NVIDIA 1660Ti
AMD 5700
NVIDIA2060Super
AMD 5700XT

4K-60Hz?
AMD Big Navi 21 (Announcement is October 28th. This may save you some serious $)

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello, i'm a software engineering student as well and a gamer. I would like to touch a bit on the screens. The size would matter more (ahem). I would recommend getting a 27 inch monitor or dual 24 inch monitor is fine as well. So with your current setup, it's up to you whether you think it's beneficial in gaming because coding wise, i dont think it matters. 24 inch is already comfortable enough imo for coding. As for the gpu, either a 2060 super or 2070 super if you're planning for ultra graphics for the next couple of years (it's also safer for 1440p upgrade in the future). If you dont feel like ultra graphics is that important, gtx 1660 ti or rtx 2060 is good as well. Oh yeah i skipped rtx 2070 because they're not in production anymore and 2060 super is basically 2070.

Solution