[SOLVED] What GPU should I put in my PC?

Sep 14, 2020
I just built a PC for my little brother a few days ago, and I don't know what I should use for graphics.
I have a old R5770 1gb that a relative gave me a while back, and right now he is using the Vega 8 graphics from the Ryzen 3 2200g.

Current Specs:
Ryzen 3 2200g
8gb 2666 mhz ram (8x1)
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3

From a lot of websites, like userbenchmark, they say that the vega 8 graphics are better, but because it uses 2gb of system ram is it still better than using the r5770?

Solution
A little hard to say. The Vega 8 is hampered by the fact that it has to access DDR4 system RAM vs the GDDR5 on the HD5770.

Looking at the legacy section of the GPU hierarchy chart, the HD 5770 is about on the level of the HD 7750(GDDR5 version)/R7 250E(GDDR5 version)/R7 250 in terms of performance. This is one tier under the GT 1030.

Then, going back up to the main, non-legacy section of the hierarchy chart, the Vega 8 is at 6.1% vs the GT 1030's 7.2%. Relative to each other, the Vega 8 performs at about 84% of the capability of the GT 1030 (or, inversely, the GT 1030 performs about 18% faster than Vega 8).

Now, these are approximations... and, unfortunately, I can't really guess what the percentage difference is between two...
I just built a PC for my little brother a few days ago, and I don't know what I should use for graphics.
I have a old R5770 1gb that a relative gave me a while back, and right now he is using the Vega 8 graphics from the Ryzen 3 2200g.

Current Specs:
Ryzen 3 2200g
8gb 2666 mhz ram (8x1)
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3

From a lot of websites, like userbenchmark, they say that the vega 8 graphics are better, but because it uses 2gb of system ram is it still better than using the r5770?
Choosing a GPU depends on a few different things. First, the power supply must be evaluated for quality and to determine if it meets the system power needs for the GPU you want. The monitor resolution and refresh rate is also important to know so that the GPU capability is not too far over or under what the monitor can display. Please supply this information.

Sep 14, 2020
Currently he is using an old dell monitor, I think it is 1280 x 1024 and 60hz. As for the power supply it is a Raidmax 530w that I was given along with the r5770.

Sep 14, 2020
For that resolution a gtx 1660 should be good and will serve him for a while. Or a rx580 8gb for a less expensive option.
You are misunderstanding me, I do not want to buy a new card for him because I don't have enough for one right now, so I want to know what is better between the Vega 8 integrated graphics or the Radeon HD 5770.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
A little hard to say. The Vega 8 is hampered by the fact that it has to access DDR4 system RAM vs the GDDR5 on the HD5770.

Looking at the legacy section of the GPU hierarchy chart, the HD 5770 is about on the level of the HD 7750(GDDR5 version)/R7 250E(GDDR5 version)/R7 250 in terms of performance. This is one tier under the GT 1030.

Then, going back up to the main, non-legacy section of the hierarchy chart, the Vega 8 is at 6.1% vs the GT 1030's 7.2%. Relative to each other, the Vega 8 performs at about 84% of the capability of the GT 1030 (or, inversely, the GT 1030 performs about 18% faster than Vega 8).

Now, these are approximations... and, unfortunately, I can't really guess what the percentage difference is between two adjacent tier levels are on the legacy part of the hierarchy chart.

If I were to guess . . about the same? In some places the 5770 might have a slight edge, and in others, the Vega 8 will have an edge. The 5770 is, after all, about 4 generations earlier than the underlying Vega architecture.

Even if they perform equally, with the 5770, you've got two issues:
  • 108W TDP
  • Legacy Drivers
AMD does offer drivers for download, their old Catalyst drivers, and (only as Beta) the newer Crimson drivers (which, for current products, has now evolved to the Adrenaline drivers). The drivers date back to 2015 for Catalyst, and 2016 for the Crimson beta. To wit, the older architecture isn't really supported anymore.

It couldn't hurt to try, just out of curiosity. I know the curiosity would definitely get me to try it. But I would guess that the performance difference, even if the 5770 had some advantage, might not be enough to justify the power draw and that the drivers are outdated.

I know this really was a kind of "eh, maybe the one, maybe the other" answer, but I think their performance would be pretty close to each other. MAYBE the 5770 has an advantage.

Solution
Sep 13, 2020
Think of it this way ,ones a old 80s v8 car with 200 hp ones a newer 2019 4 cylinder car with 200hp. They both have the same grunt one has modern features and efficiency. Try them both and see what you think. Im curious to see how it turns out.

Sep 14, 2020
Turns out the Ryzen 3 APU is better by a lot....
because the R5770 doesn't work, no idea what is wrong but it doesn't work. The fans spin. It really isn't that much of a big deal I guess, because you guys said that the APU and the GPU have similar performance.