What Graphics card can I use on my PC

Feb 2, 2019
I have an HP Pavillion P7 1010.
I'm clueless about computers and looking for a GPU Upgrade.
I know some GPU's need UEFI so I need one with legacy support.
Please Help!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I've never heard of a GPU absolutely needing UEFI.
I know of newer operating systems and SSD's needing such things for the BIOS but not GPU.

There is a thing about GPU software/drivers needing to support UEFI in order to use a UEFI BIOS with it, but that is going forwards with older cards, going backwards you shouldn't have any issue.

And since you are most likely running Windows 7 on it because that's what it ships with, you'll have no issue with newer graphic cards.
The main concern is whether or not the PSU has enough wattage and whether or not it has PCIe power cable support for GPU's that need it.

If you want a simple plug and play GPU that only needs power from the PCIe slot on the motherboard that it plugs into, you can take a look at any lower profile card like the 950 or 1050 and there are certain 1050Ti cards that also don't require extra power from cables.

Most of these cards are low profile and they are single fan coolers on them and small.

But if your PSU has PCIe power connectors, you should count how many pins. At the very least a 6pin cable, but 8pin is better and more than 8pin is nice.

If it does have them, count them and know the limitation as well as know how many watts the PSU can supply, that will help us narrow down the options of GPU for you.

Feb 2, 2019

I installed a 400 w PSU into my PC so could I get a 1050 TI with a PCIe slot aswell?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if this PSU you installed comes with PCIe power cables (the one's you plug into a graphics card) check that it has enough for the card you want to install.

If it has an 8pin (which is 6pin+2pin) then you can pretty much install any GPU that isn't super high end.

If it's just 6pin only, then make sure whatever GPU you get that needs external power doens't require more than a single 6pin to power it.

but again, if you have cables on your PSU for external power to GPU, then you can pick out nearly any 1050Ti you want as long as you have enough power pins for it. Most of them only need 6pin, a few need a single 8pin, and select rare one's need 8pin+6pin. and there are also many low profile one's that don't need external power and get all the power they need from the slot on the motherboard, but these one's don't have as high of a performance as one's that need external power.

If you happen to know the exact make and model of your PSU, then tell me and I can tell you what your limitations might be.