What graphics card do I need for dual monitor

IZAW SK1LL

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I want to get a dual monitor going but my graphics card does support it. what is a graphics card that could handle dual monitor. I plan on gaming on one monitor and having an internet browser in the other. The least expensive of card the better.

Mu current setup is
Motherboard: Z77 Pro 3
CPU-Intel I5-3570k quad processor @3.4
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Ram: 16GB

hbazzi98

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
i would recommend the gtx 660 ti. the card runs games beautifully and you can multitask with a second monitor. i had that setup but toke it off later on, but i still have the gtx 660 ti.

IZAW SK1LL

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

Ive seen some graphics cards that run at under $100 is it possible to use one of those because I'm in tight budget

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Your Radeon HD 6800 Series card can already handle two monitors on it's own. Most of those cards have at least one DVI output and most have two. You also should have one or two HDMI outputs and probably one or two Displayport outputs as well. All you have to do is make sure that you have the correct cable to connect the outputs from your video card to your monitors. Can you tell us the exact model and manufacturer so that we can look it up and give you a more exact answer?

IZAW SK1LL

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

How can I use my 6800 if it only has one DVI port? But thanks I'll get the 640

IZAW SK1LL

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

I don't remember the exact model name i just know its AMD and only has one DVI port

IZAW SK1LL

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

It has a HDMI but my monitor doesn't have a HDMI connection only DVI

giukin

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Hi! I read this reply & have an additional question: I've purchased a computer & a monitor and an overhead projector are attached to the tower.
There is only one vga port on the tower. The monitor has a dvi-d with hdcp port. I though about buying a cable or adapter as mentioned below, but was not sure if the Inspirion 660 (with Integrated graphics) could handle two monitors (computer monitor and overhead projector) at the same time.
-It seems, from your answer, that this is possible and no additional graphic card is needed. Is this correct?
-I have also just ordered a dual vga video splitter to plug (or try to plug) both the monitor and the projector in the vga. Would this work? And: would they work at the same time if plugged basically in the same vga port?

Thank you!

mckindoo

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
I am currently using a nvida geforce gt 610 and it can handle two monitors however when gaming it would run planet side 2 at 1280 by 800 and have a browser open on the other monitor . if you keep your current card and use this for the second monitor then it should run smoothly and beautifully

kuniokun

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

- your computer is i5, means its kind of new.. and you're most likely using windows 7.. it can handle two monitors for sure,
- no additional card is needed, (I'm not even sure it would work with multiple VGA card)
- vga splitter is like mirroring, your computer will treat those plugged under one VGA as one device, outputs will have same settings. It will work ok with projectors.

tanveer131

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Hi kuniokun,
I want to have dual monitor display on my Optiplex 9020 mini tower. it has two hdmi ports, one dvi and a vga. can I have dual monitors without a graphics card? If yes then kindly tell me how can I get dual display.
Thanks in advance.