What happened to ClickFree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaladinAzumarill

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
I've been considering getting a ClickFree Backup Drive as a secondary backup drive in case something happens to my other one, but when I tried to look into ClickFree's site, it redirects to their forums instead. Can't really buy anything through a forum.

So, I tried looking around to see what was going on, & from the looks of things, they have either went out of business or are going to, even though I haven't seen or read any news about either possibility, it's really confusing me.

Anyone know what's happening?

Looks like company is dead

Kooboodle is no longer in service.

Please note:

If you are a Clickfree hard drive customer, there is no impact to your Clickfree backup. Hard drive backups will continue to work as they always have.
Local photos were not affected; and your Clickfree backup was also not affected. As such, after January 22, 2016, after the cloud copies are deleted, this will in no way affect any local photos (be it on your devices or on your hard drives).

Forum posts ask about registration errors with no registration servers found, no way to find a way to chat with support, etc...

PaladinAzumarill

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014

Jeez, talk about bad timing. I was thinking of getting one last September, but decided against it at the last minute, big mistake on my part.

While it is possible to buy the drives from places like Amazon & eBay, would you or someone here happen to have kept a Archive or Master List on all things ClickFree drives & software made by them along with websites that had, or better yet, still sell those?

USAFRet

Titan

This is one of the main issues with proprietary and cloud backup solutions. If/when they go under, your "backup" is compromised.

A regular drive, and some imaging software...done.

PaladinAzumarill

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014

...That never crossed my mind before about Cloud Backups. I had one reason why I don't use them, privacy & security concerns, but now I have a second reason why not to use them. Thank you.

I'm guessing by "regular drive" you mean either a traditional hard drive (SATA in my case), or an external USB hard drive? Also, what imaging software would you recommend? Preferably one that is very efficient and let's you add custom extensions.

twointahoe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

does anyone know how to activate the software version license, now that click free server is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.