Question What happened to my Rtx 3080 Fe fried?

Dec 24, 2020
Hi guys, first time here I've been a PC gamer for 6 years. Never had anything similar happen to me before.
My rig is a
I9-10850K
Asus Rog Strix Z490F gaming
Ram: G skills rip Jaws rgb 16gb x 4 CL16 3200mhz
GPU : RTX 3080 Fe
PSU : G5 850W GOLD
perif: EVGA NU audio

What happened was that I used my computer for the morning just surfing and some light gaming FROM 10AM TO 12PM decide to exit the game close all windows on the desktop and proceeded to shut off computer everything went fine. 5 minutes later I decide to turn it back on and as soon as I click the button to turn it on I hear a noise like short circuit or spark but didn't see any sparks on the computer tho. I kinda froze for a little (10 seconds) thinking what happened and started to smell like burned plastick. The RGBs flashed on and off and the computer didn't turned on. I then proceeded to turn off the switch on the Psu and unglugged it. I thought it was my Cpu coolers RGB that shorted so I waited for around 15 minutes to cool the pc off and proceeded to turn it back on and inmediatly saw white smoke coming out from the bottom of my PSU ( yes an RTX 3080 FOUNDERS EDITION.)
But this time it posted and was able to get signal as normal. I don't know what to do now. My PSU is an EVGA 220 G5 - 0850 RX refurbished unit bought it straight from EVGA website. It came with only the primary cables for a simple build. I have noticed something that is bugging me and is that the two VGA cables for the GPU are a little different as we know this GPU needs two x 8 pin cables connected to an special adapter that converts it to an only 8 pin conector that goes to the top of GPU. In short one cable is thinner than the other one and the fatter cable has an additional writing on it that says 600v 125c W-1 and the thinner cable just says 600v 125c. Something tell me that could be the cause of the problem? Can somebody help me I don't know what to do other than throw this PSU to the garbage.
I have had this same exact rig for just over a month without a single issue.
Thank you guys.

Last edited: