[SOLVED] What happens if i never defrag my External HDD?

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
I have a 2TB External HDD with two 931 GB partitions. Disk Defragment seems to take a year to "maybe" finish just pass1 . I've never fully defraged this external hdd since i bought it. i don't want to reduce it's life as it is maybe 3 years old and "sometimes" making small noises after it fell down on flat ground from a 15cm height two different times. i'm forced to place one of my case's fans on it to reduce the heat as it never exceeded such temperature even while gaming.

some notes for knowledge:

OS is Windows 7 sp1.
System drive is an SSD.
there are billions of small and large files on both drives.
Usually i do super large file deletions,movings, copyings or all of them after one another.

Last edited:
Solution
Never defrag = slower performance over time.
The longer you wait between defrags, the longer that operation will take.

Doing a defrag has little to do with "reduce its lifespan".
Dropping it on the floor, however, DOES have implications as to how long it will last.

USAFRet

Titan

Dropping it on the floor, however, DOES have implications as to how long it will last.

Solution

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019

Yes, Dropping it actually kills it but now it is not the case. so as you're saying, never doing a disk defragment does nothing with the health of hard drive. This was the answer i was looking for, i hope you be right. Thanks!

However, searching takes hours to complete with almost no result, as i find the exact filename somewhere in the hard drive.