What happens if there is too much wattage on a PSU?

bdg710

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
I have a Corsair 500 Watt PSU and I am upgrading my graphics card and I have found out that my PSU will be 35 watts over. With the graphics card my wattage would be 535 watts or so. I was wondering if this will be possible/ or will it damage any parts?

Solution
I can speak from experience that using a PSU to weak or a poor quality or both can harm components. I had an Athlon II 240 with 4GB RAM and an HD 6450 on a 260w PSU. The HD 6450 went from black to green in 2 months from the heat. Playing Borderlands at 1024x768 on medium settings the GPU was 90°C+ when in game. I was having issues with the CPU reads for temps but it had a fairly sized Passive heatsink that got quite hot as well. Then the PSU crapped out and did do damage.
take a look at the cpu and the max voltage of the gpu when under load. this is the 12v load. look on your power supply for the 12v rating it may be in voltage or amps. if it amps take the amps and times(*) it by 12 for the voltage. if you run a power supply in a game and it hits it max rated output on the 12v line a few things can happen. if it a good brand of power supply it run hot and loud but it it run. some units may ripple out and your pc may lock up or shut off. the bad unit wont shut off you hear a loud pop as one of the caps or parts short out or fail.

bdg710

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Would it damage any parts?

Vitric9

Distinguished
I can speak from experience that using a PSU to weak or a poor quality or both can harm components. I had an Athlon II 240 with 4GB RAM and an HD 6450 on a 260w PSU. The HD 6450 went from black to green in 2 months from the heat. Playing Borderlands at 1024x768 on medium settings the GPU was 90°C+ when in game. I was having issues with the CPU reads for temps but it had a fairly sized Passive heatsink that got quite hot as well. Then the PSU crapped out and did do damage.

Solution

bdg710

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014