Question What happens if you plug a 4080 on a Z390 board?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2981124
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2981124

Hello.
I am asking this to help a friend.
He has a 1070 TI with a Z390 board and a 9900k. He wants to upgrade the GPU first then wait sometime before upgrading the other parts.
According to him, the 1070 TI is the biggest problem, so he wanted to already buy the GPU he'd use for the next years, and then build the rest of the PC around it.
If I didn't get it wrong, the PCI-E 3 port on his motherboard would cap the 4080. But is there any other incompatibility that we are not aware of? He'd get the best performance possible from a PCI-E 3?
Thanks.

Hello.
He has a 1070 TI with a Z390 board and a 9900k. He wants to upgrade the GPU first then wait sometime before upgrading the other parts.
According to him, the 1070 TI is the biggest problem, so he wanted to already buy the GPU he'd use for the next years, and then build the rest of the PC around it.
If I didn't get it wrong, the PCI-E 3 port on his motherboard would cap the 4080. But is there any other incompatibility that we are not aware of? He'd get the best performance possible from a PCI-E 3?
Thanks.
It would work just fine, you're looking at maybe a 2% performance loss at 1080p, if that, and absolutely no performance loss at 1440p and 4k. The 9900k is the bigger bottleneck and it will leave some performance on the table, but it would still be a massive upgrade over their current 1070 ti. It just means they wouldnt have to change out their gpu whenever they do another platform refresh.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...rformance-scaling-with-core-i9-13900k/28.html

D

Deleted member 2981124

What is the power supply here?
750W
Maybe he could for something less power hungry tho, like a 4070 super. To be fair, I'm not 100% sure of what exact GPU he'll pick. We talked about the range of a 4070 super to a 4080.

Reactions: artk2219

USAFRet

Titan
750W
Maybe he could for something less power hungry tho, like a 4070 super. To be fair, I'm not 100% sure of what exact GPU he'll pick. We talked about the range of a 4070 super to a 4080.
"750W" may be the number printed on the side.

What specific make/model PSU?
There are some 750W PSUs I wouldn't use as a boat anchor.

D

Deleted member 2981124

"750W" may be the number printed on the side.

What specific make/model PSU?
There are some 750W PSUs I wouldn't use as a boat anchor.
I understand what you mean. Some are literal bombs, and stressing it too much can make things worse. I'll ask him.

Hello.
Thanks.
depending on where hes based a 4070 super or 4070 ti super would be fine there less power hungry and less likley to develop issues with stupid new power standard however i would make sure its a good quality psu regardless like the seasonic focus gold 750w modular and get the new cable seperate or you can get the psu with the new power standard

D

Deleted member 2981124

Thanks for the answers, guys.
I will tell you guys my friend's PSU after he answers me.

D

Deleted member 2981124

if the friend is capable of building and upgrading a system, i'm sure they are capable of conversing through a forum thread.

have them join and answer so there are no problems with communication and/or using a go-between.
I sent him the link.
He is capable of course, but we talked about it and I tried to help him cause he was a bit confused.
Since I already have an account, I figured I could ask here to help him better with more experienced people's opinions.
He takes his time doing stuff, might take a while for him to join here or answer me.

Status
Not open for further replies.