Question What happens if you tell a lie to Steam Support?

TpaXTop876

Reputable
May 9, 2021
Hello,

I have a weird question, or maybe a stupid question.

What if for example an user told Steam Support that he/she sold or bought the account as a joke or a lie.
Will he or she get the account back if the user provide proof that he or she is the original owner?

I have seen this somewhere, he was just lying, told support he bought the account, but he send a message to steam support that is not true and later his account is restored.

This is very rare but very stupid.

Greetings

TpaXTop876

Reputable
May 9, 2021
Its very rare, but why can the user if he/she lied about it cant get the account back, If the user provide strong ownership and tells that in the support message that is all not true what he or she said?

Someone said that "no matter the circumstances... they'll always restore it to the original owner no matter what if they provide proof"

TpaXTop876

Reputable
May 9, 2021
At that point, once you have admitted the lie you tie their hands and credibility is gone. The TOS (so far as I know) say you cannot transfer an account, or at least there was a recent kerfuffle about that aspect.
Thank you for your reply, but as I stated in my other message that the user provide strong proof of ownership, is that good enough for the user that have lied and made the mistake not to lie or mess about it?

USAFRet

Titan
Its very rare, but why can the user if he/she lied about it cant get the account back, If the user provide strong ownership and tells that in the support message that is all not true what he or she said?

Someone said that "no matter the circumstances... they'll always restore it to the original owner no matter what if they provide proof"
If I drive over the speed limit, will I always get a ticket?
No.

If someone said "No matter the circumstances..." they've simply not yet seen an occurrence of it resulting in the other outcome.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would appear that you are asking us what Steam is going to do, or to validate being untruthful to them. The only entity that can make right is going to be Steam. Steam got lied to, about a situation that is against TOS, as above. It would seem to me that you are asking the wrong folks.

Sep 23, 2024
Hello,

I have a weird question, or maybe a stupid question.

What if for example an user told Steam Support that he/she sold or bought the account as a joke or a lie.
Will he or she get the account back if the user provide proof that he or she is the original owner?

I have seen this somewhere, he was just lying, told support he bought the account, but he send a message to steam support that is not true and later his account is restored.

This is very rare but very stupid.

Greetings
Support will never transfer ownership or any of that sort of stuff unless you provide multiple proofs of actual ownership.

Don't bother.

TpaXTop876

Reputable
May 9, 2021
Hello,

I have message from steam support.

"Steam Support not only relies on your message but also on the account activity and history."

That means they also check your history and activity. They go on investigation if you tells untruthfull things in the message. (Thats what I think)

Ofcourse lying is stupid but thats how it is.

Sep 17, 2024
Man, I learned a hard lesson about honesty with Steam Support. I got banned for something I didn't do, and when I tried to appeal, I panicked and lied about a few details. I thought it would help my case, but it just made things worse.

Steam Support is pretty good at sniffing out lies, and they clearly saw through mine. Now my old account is still banned, and I'm kicking myself for not being upfront from the beginning.

Moral of the story: honesty is always the best policy, even when you're in a tight spot. I guess I'll just have to start a new account and hope for the best.

TpaXTop876

Reputable
May 9, 2021
Man, I learned a hard lesson about honesty with Steam Support. I got banned for something I didn't do, and when I tried to appeal, I panicked and lied about a few details. I thought it would help my case, but it just made things worse.

Steam Support is pretty good at sniffing out lies, and they clearly saw through mine. Now my old account is still banned, and I'm kicking myself for not being upfront from the beginning.

Moral of the story: honesty is always the best policy, even when you're in a tight spot. I guess I'll just have to start a new account and hope for the best.
Nothing happens to my account, I only wanted to know what happens if a person lied to Steam Support.

But thank you for your reply.

Reactions: Master_Shifu

awake283

Great
Jun 23, 2024

Yep. When I said "just tell the truth" I wasnt being facetious. Steam support respects honesty and if you're telling a lie they WILL figure it out and its an auto decline. Just be honest!