Question What happens when an HDD fails?

May 12, 2024
So I have a 10-year-old WD Green 5400 RPM drive And it's noisy and slow and so I decided it was time for an upgrade so I just installed a WD blue 2tb 7200 RPM drive And this is going to be my main storage drive (I have a Samsung 970 500GB with my OS) And so I don't care that much about my WD Green at this point and so when it fails what happens?

USAFRet

Titan
So I have a 10-year-old WD Green 5400 RPM drive And it's noisy and slow and so I decided it was time for an upgrade so I just installed a WD blue 2tb 7200 RPM drive And this is going to be my main storage drive (I have a Samsung 970 500GB with my OS) And so I don't care that much about my WD Green at this point and so when it fails what happens?
So, presumably you have the data backed up or copied to somewhere else.

The specifics of a dying drive are many.
Silent death, noisy clunking, random buzzing....

Reactions: Voidseeker_1

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks. Everything that I wanted to keep I put on an external drive because I wasn't sure if I was going to remove my WD Green or not so all my important stuff Is backed up on to that external drive with my Windows image
Backups should happen all the time.
Preferably every day.

I've seen a drive (WD Green, in fact) go from seemingly perfect to dead in about 36 hours. It was 5 weeks old.
Warranty replaced the drive, my backup replaced the data.

May 12, 2024
Backups should happen all the time.
Preferably every day.

I've seen a drive (WD Green, in fact) go from seemingly perfect to dead in about 36 hours. It was 5 weeks old.
Warranty replaced the drive, my backup replaced the data.
I don't back up as much as I probably should. I made a huge rookie mistske once. I had a kingfast F10 And my windows was not backed up and one day I restarted my computer and my OS was completely gone and I had to completely start from scratch. Come to find out the F10 has a high failure rate and that drive came in and used PC I got 5 years ago I'm pretty sure that drive is failing...