[SOLVED] What happens when I put in four sticks of the same ram in my motherboard when my cpu says it supports 2 channel DDR4?

Solution
When you put 4 DIMMs on a dual channel motherboard, you're putting 2 DIMMs on each channel so that both DIMMs are listening to commands on that channel. Each DIMM contains one or more ranks (a block of memory chips). You can think of a channel as a memory bus where the processor sends a command over the bus to read or write a particular address on that channel. So, for the processor to access some memory in one of the DIMMs, it first selects the desired channel and then asks for an address in a particular rank that is on that channel.

Dual channel is useful because the processor can do some things in parallel between the two channels (one operation in flight on each channel) essentially giving you two somewhat separate memory busses...

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
When you put 4 DIMMs on a dual channel motherboard, you're putting 2 DIMMs on each channel so that both DIMMs are listening to commands on that channel. Each DIMM contains one or more ranks (a block of memory chips). You can think of a channel as a memory bus where the processor sends a command over the bus to read or write a particular address on that channel. So, for the processor to access some memory in one of the DIMMs, it first selects the desired channel and then asks for an address in a particular rank that is on that channel.

Dual channel is useful because the processor can do some things in parallel between the two channels (one operation in flight on each channel) essentially giving you two somewhat separate memory busses to read/write from.

Solution