[SOLVED] What happens with the CAT6 signal through a 700ft cable?

Aug 27, 2020
Hi all,

I'm aware that CAT5 and CAT6 cables are rated to work within lengths up to 100m or ~320ft.
What happens when you have a longer cable? Much longer, like 600 - 700ft or more? Do you just lose speed? Does is simply stop working? Do you lose a significant percentage of packages?

I have a long property (800ft) and our house is at the end of it. I want to set up a camera and gate access panel at the end of it and was planning to use the power poles and the coax cable to get a cat6 cable there with POE for ubiquity camera.

Will this work?

Thank You!

Solution
No. Will not work.

The length of the wire and accompanying resistance within the wire will slow the current.

Network devices expect/require certain voltages and current flows. Those are established and legislated standards.

What you will probably need are some boosters every 300 feet or so. Fiber may be a good option.

However, there are several members within this Forum who are more than qualified to directly address your requirements and they may offer other ideas and suggestions.

Ralston18

Titan
No. Will not work.

The length of the wire and accompanying resistance within the wire will slow the current.

Network devices expect/require certain voltages and current flows. Those are established and legislated standards.

What you will probably need are some boosters every 300 feet or so. Fiber may be a good option.

However, there are several members within this Forum who are more than qualified to directly address your requirements and they may offer other ideas and suggestions.

Solution
It generally doesn't work at all. The problem is not the speed it is the resistance in the wire. It detects tiny voltage differences between the 2 wires in the pair. At long distance the voltage will drop so low that it can't be detected.

There are other things like ethernet extenders that use a form of private DSL that will go that far.

PoE is even more taxing on cables. The offical version ...ie 802.3at will go 100 meters but the proprietary ones that use lower voltage have much shorter limits. That is part of the reason the standards based one uses 48 volts but it can not run passive because you can fry equipment with that much voltage.

Not sure a good solution. Fiber can do the distance but you still need power at the remote end.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

I'm aware that CAT5 and CAT6 cables are rated to work within lengths up to 100m or ~320ft.
What happens when you have a longer cable? Much longer, like 600 - 700ft or more? Do you just lose speed? Does is simply stop working? Do you lose a significant percentage of packages?

I have a long property (800ft) and our house is at the end of it. I want to set up a camera and gate access panel at the end of it and was planning to use the power poles and the coax cable to get a cat6 cable there with POE for ubiquity camera.

Will this work?

Thank You!
You need to look at solar panel, and battery. Then you could do a point-to-point wireless if you have a good line-of-sight. You can do all of it with Ubiquiti -- https://solar.ui.com/