[SOLVED] What has died, can I fix it?

TygoDoesStuff

Prominent
May 8, 2019
I was recently enjoying a good game of Minecraft, while I was waiting in queue for another server, in the background I was playing some youtube videos, and all of a sudden, my pc just died. No boom, No poof, just behaved like the power cut. I first suspected my mom for turning off the power to my room, but that wasn't the case. Kind of shocked, I start troubleshooting. I tried the paperclip method on my PSU ( sticking a paperclip into two holes of the motherboard connector, and voila, my PSU was not faulty. So I start removing every component and booting without it. everything was fine until my GPU (EVGA SC GTX470) with it installed, my pc will spin its fans for half a second and then shut off. I don't have a speaker, so I cant listen for beeps. (Well I have one, but it's from a ~2003 case and I can't figure out my motherboard pinout (it's an HP OEM IPIBL-LB if anyone wants to help) what could it be? could it be the GPU itself, or the 2x 6pin PSU connector? if you guys could provide me with the definitive answer I would be very happy. Could I fix the problem would be the next thing that I would want to know.
-Tygo

Solution
Alright, seems fair. So if I'm correct, there is no way that my 2011 GTX470 is the culprit?

It's certainly possible, but I'm inclined to agree with logain here - PSU is most probably.
The GPU could've died, or it may be the indirect "culprit" as it is quite powerhungry and, if anything, the 470 would be what would've sent your PSU over the edge.

TygoDoesStuff

Prominent
May 8, 2019
That doesn't really prove anything, unfortunately. It proves it can power on - not that it can adequately power X.

Is this an HP system? Or just a motherboard repurposed from an old HP?
It used to be a hp m9560nl system, but all what's left of it now is the CD drive, motherboard+ core 2 quad q9300 and 4gb ram (the rest has been upgraded as followed)
Full pc specs:
Core 2 Quad q9300
8gb ddr2 ram
Evga sc GTX470
Fsp 700-50arn 80+bronze 700W psu
1tb Seagate barracuda ( newest addition. Installed it a week before) hdd
128 GB samsung 840evo ssd
Floppy reader
CD drive

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
The GTX470 is an old, hot and hungry card. It is possible that it died. Did you had any overheating issues? Try put the card out of the case into something non conductive and leave it for 2-3days to de-electronize (worked on my psu), if you are very lucky it will work.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Alright, seems fair. So if I'm correct, there is no way that my 2011 GTX470 is the culprit?

It's certainly possible, but I'm inclined to agree with logain here - PSU is most probably.
The GPU could've died, or it may be the indirect "culprit" as it is quite powerhungry and, if anything, the 470 would be what would've sent your PSU over the edge.

Solution

TygoDoesStuff

Prominent
May 8, 2019
The GTX470 is an old, hot and hungry card. It is possible that it died. Did you had any overheating issues? Try put the card out of the case into something non conductive and leave it for 2-3days to de-electronize (worked on my psu), if you are very lucky it will work.
I'm gone for a week, left the card smitten somewhere, when I come back home on Sunday, I'll pop her in, and if that doesn't work, I'll put it in the non conductive bag in it's original packaging for a few days, and I'll report back. I'll probably report back Sunday and maybe Wednesday

TygoDoesStuff

Prominent
May 8, 2019
Definitely possible, a huge factor may be that I used that card very heavy since I got it in may, I'm talking heavy as in 6-7 hours on almost every day, intensive games, multiple monitors, 1080p video editing and it has seen alot of games that were just to much for the card (15-20 fps) but I just kept throwing stuff at it....

TygoDoesStuff

Prominent
May 8, 2019
Update: I'm back, half a year late. probably no one will read this, but here we go, this is what happened:

-Came back, PC still would not boot
-Bought a new GPU (GTX 570), PC still would not boot
-Bought a new PSU (G550M cooler master) Pc boots with both cards

It turned out the power supply died.

Reactions: Quanticriver

TRENDING THREADS