Discussion What I learned about the Asus Proart combo

Jul 12, 2024
[Moderator Note: Moving thread from Systems to Opinions and Experiences. More applicable.]

Hi,

I am just adding this to the experience pile. First, I must say that I am no expert on PC building, but I learned a few things that were not in the manual while building this system.

Motherboard: Asus Proart Creator Z790 Wifi
Case: Asus Proart 602A
Power supply: Bequiet! Dark Power 1600
Cooler: Asus LC420 AIO
Processor: Intel i9 14900K
Memory: 4 x 48GB Crucial
GPU: Asus Proart RTX 4080 Super

The manuals were a bit lacking in certain areas. I had to rely on trial and error to figure out some of the nuances of this build. Here is the list so far. Read all of them before you start.
In no particular order:

1. The radiator's build order differs from that specified in the LC 410 manual for the Proart case. The motherboard manual has the correct instructions.

2. When it says to plug the fan into the motherboard from the case hub, plug it into the CPU Fan header. It works fine in all the other ones, but there is a gotcha: The BIOS whinges that the CPU Fan header is not attached. This can be overcome by switching off the warning. This decision appears in other Windows applications that are in the BIOS, but it controls fans and makes things a bit messy.

3. The radiator has three fans, and a 3-way splitter cable is provided. Do not use the splitter cable. Plug the radiator fans into the three spaces along with the rest of the case fans. I tried splitting the fans onto different headers to get better control, but all the options made it sound like a plane taking off. Once I used the provided hub, a quiet desktop was instant. I tried fiddling with the fan control in the BIOS and Windows without any useful results.

4. The radiator slides in the frame when fitted. Before tightening the screws, make sure the radiator does not stick out of the back of the frame. If it is, it makes refitting the AIO unnecessarily hard.

5. The AIO can be fitted so the pipes go to the left or the right. I don't think there is a 'correct' way, but pipes going right (when looking at the motherboard) seem a bit easier and cause less stress on the hoses.

6. I put 192GB of RAM in the machine, slowing memory access. Don't be tempted to go big; if you only need 33 or 64 GB, go with that and do your research about matching the right memory. It hurts performance.

7. Remove the double HD tray if you have a large PSU. It makes fitting and managing the cables much easier.

8. Don't try swapping the side panels. They jam easily.

9. The correct torque for most of the screws seems to be about 6NM, tight enough but not too tight.

10. When fitting the radiator fans, go slowly they are easy to misalign.

11. The radiator fans each have a cable. Let these drop by the fan, and do not be tempted to squeeze the cables down the inside of the radiator bracket. This makes fitting them to the hub much easier (see point 3).

12. The PSU I chose has a slightly unusual cable due to the 1600w power rating. If you want a PSU with a standard IEC connector then choose a smaller wattage. I could easily get by with a 750w or 850w PSU for the current build, I just went big in case of future upgrades.

13. All the motherboard M2 slots are PCIe 4 x4. You don't need to spend on PCIe 5 highspeed M.2 sticks as you won't get the performance :)

14. It doesn't look like it, but the motherboard's USB C connector is keyed and only fits in one way. The key is visible if you look hard at the diagram in the motherboard manual.

Hopefully, these points will help others put together a Proart system. I still have much to learn, but this information would have saved me hours.

If anyone has additional points or found something different, please add it to the thread.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 35below0