Question what I need to do to view 4K go-pro videos?

Jun 25, 2019
Hi,
I'm having a lot of difficulties trying to view some 4K go-pro videos. The videos appear to be jerky.
This is my equipment:
MOTHEREBOARD ASUS Z97 PRO-Gamer
PROCESSOR Intel i7 4790K Cache 8MB GHz 4,4 Turbo Boost
HARD DISK SSD SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256GB
RAM CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB DDR 3 1600 MHz
GRAPHIC CARD AMD RADEON HD R9 270X 4GB GDDR5
I have updated all the driver (bios, chipset, motherboard, graphic card, etc.).
I have used different video programs (also VLC).
I know this is a difficult question, because there could be many causes involved. I have already read some topics in this forum similar to this one, but no answer has satisfied me. Where is the bottleneck in my computer configuration? What can I do or improve to have a fluid 4k video?
Thanks,
Guido

Your system should be able to handle go-pro 4k playback even though that 4th generation Intel CPU is the minimum requirement
It could be that the player settings is not allowing enough video caching for smooth playback.
To check is the player is the issue.

Open VLC and click Tools then select Preferences.
click All below Show Settings at the bottom of the window.
Click on Input / Codecs in the left pane.
On the right pane scroll to File Caching (ms) under Advance.
Set it to 1400-1600
Do the same for Network Caching (ms).
Click the Save button
You could change to a higher value if still skipping.

Jun 25, 2019
Your system should be able to handle go-pro 4k playback even though that 4th generation Intel CPU is the minimum requirement
It could be that the player settings is not allowing enough video caching for smooth playback.
To check is the player is the issue.

Open VLC and click Tools then select Preferences.
click All below Show Settings at the bottom of the window.
Click on Input / Codecs in the left pane.
On the right pane scroll to File Caching (ms) under Advance.
Set it to 1400-1600
Do the same for Network Caching (ms).
Click the Save button
You could change to a higher value if still skipping.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try these steps tomorrow.
I have tried the same video on my laptop (Intel i5-7200, 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Integrated Intel Graphic 620) and I saw it well and fluid with VLC (default settings). So I think that you are right, maybe the CPU is the bottleneck in my workstation. Do you think I could benefit if I overclock the CPU?
Or do you think that could be a better idea to change my CPU? In the motherboard (asus z97 pro-gamer) specification I read:
Intel Socket 1150 for the 5th/New 4th/4th Generation Core™ i7
So I could buy a 5th Genaration Core i7
Thanks

.... do you think that could be a better idea to change my CPU? In the motherboard (asus z97 pro-gamer) specification I read:
Intel Socket 1150 for the 5th/New 4th/4th Generation Core™ i7
So I could buy a 5th Genaration Core i7
Thanks
The i7 4790K performs better than the supported 5th Generation Core i7.
It could be related to the R9 270X.
I had one and could not play some 4k content.

What's the 4K display model you are using to watch 4K content?

Out of all the connections on the R9 270X , only the Display Port 1.2a is capable of 2160p@60...HDMI 1.4b is capable of 2160p@30 only.

Make sure VLC hardware acceleration is enabled.
From the menu toolbar select Tools>Preferences >Input & Codecs>Codecs > Hardware-accelerated decoding.
You could select different hardware acceleration methods and see if it makes a difference.
Remember to press Save for changes to be enabled.

Have you try converting the h.265 footage to h.264 to see if it play in your system.
You could use a free app like Handbrake

GoPro Minimum System Requirements for 4K Playback

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019
What's the 4K display model you are using to watch 4K content?

Out of all the connections on the R9 270X , only the Display Port 1.2a is capable of 2160p@60...HDMI 1.4b is capable of 2160p@30 only.

Make sure VLC hardware acceleration is enabled.
From the menu toolbar select Tools>Preferences >Input & Codecs>Codecs > Hardware-accelerated decoding.
You could select different hardware acceleration methods and see if it makes a difference.
Remember to press Save for changes to be enabled.

Have you try converting the h.265 footage to h.264 to see if it play in your system.
You could use a free app like Handbrake

GoPro Minimum System Requirements for 4K Playback

It's a Samsung Full HD monitor. I have tried to attach my external tv (4K) via HDMI, with the same result. Instead, I see them fluid in my 13" laptop.
VLC HW acceleration is enabled. I tried also to modify the VLC parameters "File Caching (ms)" and "Network Caching (ms)" as you suggested me (1600-1800 both). Nothing changed.
I attach, for completeness of information, a screenshot of VLC about codec information related to these videos and another sreenshot with gpu-z details related to my graphic card.
codec: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K9OjpXqj9VNsy_PnDJdNBKvLN637YRr7
gpu-z: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18QNI9sDR-8URe9fgeA53q7qNRmsCbUwm

Your laptop since is newer, it might support HDMI 2.0 and it is capable of handling the bandwidth required for 4k/60 footage.
Your computer GPU supports HDMI 1.4b and is not capable of handling it.

You may want to consider a GeForce GTX 1050 that could handle bandwidth required for GoPro 4k/60 footage.

Jun 25, 2019
Your laptop since is newer, it might support HDMI 2.0 and it is capable of handling the bandwidth required for 4k/60 footage.
Your computer GPU supports HDMI 1.4b and is not capable of handling it.

You may want to consider a GeForce GTX 1050 that could handle bandwidth required for GoPro 4k/60 footage.

Thanks a lot. One last question: the motherboard Z97 pro gamer has another, integrated graphic card. It was automatically disabled by BIOS when he detected the AMD graphic card. The technical specifications say:
Integrated Graphics Processor- Intel® HD Graphics support
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI-D/RGB ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Do you think it's worth trying with this one?