What in your opinion is the best Sci-Fi Series of all time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 8, 2021
Stargate all series and films,Kryptone season 1,2 Altered Carbone..just ingenious..Star Trek all...Star Wars I never liked it...I like sci fi much more..

Apr 21, 2021
The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Based of course on Terminator. Shame they only did the two series of it. When (not where) did John Henry go to?

As an aside I always find it amusing that there are two Sarah Connors in Game of Thrones :)

Reactions: Sonic6731

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Firefly deserves mention here. It could have been so much more.

Star Wars offers a lot, but with Disney owning the rights I just don't see it being more than commercial and cute.

Star Trek is THE one, and I am talking the campy stuff with Shatner and Nimoy. TNG is quite (re)watchable. The new(est) movie series with Pine is a great re-imagining.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Great book and story
Dune isn't just one book... although most attempts at the series just sort of stop there. Love to see them make more of the series... they can stop before they reach his Son's books though.
HItchhikers Guide is also a series that needs more than the 1st book covered... enough remaking the 1st part already. I want to learn how to fly by throwing self at the ground and missing.

Reactions: Eximo

EdwardSnowden

BANNED
Jun 15, 2022
As far as concern to any series I don't know but I always prefer Interstellar hands down best . And what the ending meant.. And why it was sad due to time and space. Astronaut and why he didn't age and his young daughter was 60.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would agree that GITS spawned a lot of modern sci-fi, but everyone always points to the surrealism of Akira as being the first Anime to really impact Western audiences. But then everyone started licensing/dubbing and spreading it around.

I find most long running sci-fi shows tend to develop flaws. Firefly didn't get a chance, but even in their short run there are few bland episodes.

Stargate is good, but as they started replacing cast and having to constantly replace the primary villains didn't help. Then the spin offs. All watchable though. More and more news about them doing another series here shortly.

I generally fall back on TNG or DS9, but yeah, definitely some bad stuff in there.

In terms of look and feel, the Expanse is up there. Just not sure I care for the story as a whole. Has elements of a lot of very common sci-fi.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Haven't seen Babylon 5 yet, so this may change, but for a while I've thought Ghost in the Shell, more specifically, Stand Alone Complex.
It had inspired a lot of other works over the years and in turn from the movies, it had heavily inspired the Matrix trilogy.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Babylon 5 is rough to watch now. Very early CGI days, and unless you REALLY like the early 90s aesthetic it can be tough to watch. Like TekWar, or Highlander the Series...Everyone is walking around like a clothing catalog (and not a good one) It got better as they went along though, with more budget came better costuming to fit the world, not just what people were wearing at fashion shows.

They also replace the original station commander Michael O'Hare with Bruce Boxleitner which makes a huge difference to the quality of things starting in season 2.

If you can get past all that, really good world building.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Not mentioned yet, but as a kid, I was really into the $6M man/bionic woman.....

Yea the 1st seasons were rough starts for both shows and they were a bit campy even for the 70's, but the CONCEPT itself was so far ahead of it's time (to me anyway) that it seemed almost believable....

And of course having Lee Majors & Lindsay Wagner as the leads didn't hurt too much either.... I always liked Lee in his western days, and had never really heard of Lindsay before BW.... she was adorable but I always hoped that would somehow manage to build her some larger, super-firm knockers, you know, to go along with her other stronger assets....

But then I found Star Trek and the Twilight Zone and the rest, as they say, is history !

D

Deleted member 14196

Dune isn't just one book... although most attempts at the series just sort of stop there. Love to see them make more of the series... they can stop before they reach his Son's books though.
HItchhikers Guide is also a series that needs more than the 1st book covered... enough remaking the 1st part already. I want to learn how to fly by throwing self at the ground and missing.

yes. I have read the first three books. A series is needed to cover the whole thing. Maybe Apple can do it