What is a good and relatively cheap CPU to pair with a GTX 1070?

thedonkill1

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017
Simple as the title, though I can give some context.

Where I'm from, part prices didn't rise much from the whole bitcoin mining rush, so I wanted to get as good a GPU as I could afford, so I nabbed a GTX 1070 at 300 ish euro. Now, it's an amazing card, but my CPU is anything but.

AMD FX-6300.

The bottleneck was f*ckin' lethal, but I've been overclocking hardcore which kinda helps, but I need a new CPU, so what would you guys recommend?

Birthday's coming up soon, and depending on how much I get, I have a few ideas. If I lots of cash to spend, it'll be an i7 7700k, if a bit less, i5 8600k, but are there any other (hopefully cheaper) options I should consider?

Solution
your current cpu is an amd cpu with the socket type AM3+, which means that your Motherboard supports am3+. So if you want a new intel CPU you'll have to replace your motherboard as well. And since your current CPU and motherboard support ddr3 RAM, you may have to replace your ram as well, depending on your Cpu choice.

If you really want to stick with ddr3, the CPUs I'd recommend are the i7-4790k (400 Euro on Amazon) if you're willing to spend that much, or the i5-4690k (280 Euro on Amazon)

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
Indeed. You have to upgrade the whole thing unless you want to stay on older platforms with DDR3.

Otherwise, anything from Ryzen 5 1600 to I5 8600K will work fine.
Ryzen should be cheaper altogether. Though Intel should give you better FPS in some games, while in others it will tie with Ryzen.

If you don't want to overclock, then might I suggest the I5 8400? Seems like a solid CPU.

Mar 18, 2018
your current cpu is an amd cpu with the socket type AM3+, which means that your Motherboard supports am3+. So if you want a new intel CPU you'll have to replace your motherboard as well. And since your current CPU and motherboard support ddr3 RAM, you may have to replace your ram as well, depending on your Cpu choice.

If you really want to stick with ddr3, the CPUs I'd recommend are the i7-4790k (400 Euro on Amazon) if you're willing to spend that much, or the i5-4690k (280 Euro on Amazon)

Solution