Question What is a good RAM upgrade for P67A-GD55 (B3)?

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Hi, I got help choosing parts for my computer on Tom’s hardware, and now I would like some help with a RAM upgrade.

My computer has a MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) motherboard with two sticks of Adata XPG DDR3 1600 RAM powered by XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W power supply.

I found the Crucial webpage for a compatible RAM upgrade for my motherboard which the recommended a few sticks of RAM, among them with the most memory is the Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM CT102464BD160B. The problem with this recommendation is I notice is on the MSI P67A-GD55 specification webpage in the detail tab it says my motherboard supports 1.5 volt RAM, while the RAM from the Crucial recommendation is 1.35 volt. Would Crucial make a mistake like that or am I mistaken?

If the Crucial recommendation is not viable can I have a recommendation for two sticks of 8GB of RAM delivered in Canada?

I will also like to know if installing the new RAM will be as easy as turning my computer off, open my case, take out the old RAM, and put in the new RAM. Do I have to do something with my software?

Thanks to anybody who helps me.

I notice is on the MSI P67A-GD55 specification webpage in the detail tab it says my motherboard supports 1.5 volt RAM, while the RAM from the Crucial recommendation is 1.35 volt. Would Crucial make a mistake like that or am I mistaken?
DDR3L 1.35V ram can work just fine in 1.5V mode. That's not a problem.
Basically any DDR3 2x8GB kit should be fine.
Edit: Make sure, you get 8GB modules with 16 chips.
I will also like to know if installing the new RAM will be as easy as turning my computer off, open my case, take out the old RAM, and put in the new RAM. Do I have to do something with my software?
That's pretty much it.
But to enable 1600mhz mode, you'll have to set ram frequency in BIOS.
Normally it will run at 1333mhz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warden_PC

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Warden_PC
Solution

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I finally got my new RAM delivered to me and started installing it. After loosening my A50 CPU cooling so I can get my old RAM out, and get my new RAM in. I turn my computer on and this message.

CPU or Memory Changed !!! Please enter Setup to configure your system.
Press F1 to Run SETUP.
Press F2 to load default values and continue.

I then pressed F1 to get to the setup menu and run a RAM test which it had passed and then I save the new configuration and reset my computer. After one slow startup, my computer is now running much smoother now with quadruple the RAM. Thanks again to SkyNetRising and Eximo for helping me.