What is a "knock out" PCI slot?

mikeisdaman66

Reputable
Mar 5, 2018
I was looking into buying a new case that offered alot of case slots and had a tempered glass side for cheap. I found this case for $50 that offered 7 case slots. I read the reviews and I kept reading this one term that I didn't understand, and I could never find the term anywhere else on google.

What is a "knock-out" pci slot? They say it means one time use but how is that possible? Isn't the PCI slot on your motherboard? How does the case effect your PCI slot in anyway? Here's the review copy pasted below for reference:

Rear PCI-e slot punch out covers, I prefer removable ones with screws, but I don't care much.
-You can't replace the GPU mounts, you have to rip them out

The case is an AZZA photios 250
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517041&cm_re=azza_photios_250-_-11-517-041-_-Product

Solution
It isn't talking about the slots on the motherboard, it's talking about the openings (slots) on the back of the case. These openings will all be closed initially when you get the case. If you install an expansion card (e.g. a graphics card) you need to remove some of the slot coverings in order to make room for the graphics card so that the display connectors are accessible at the rear of the case. For some cases these coverings are held in place with screws, such that you could replace them if you later removed the expansion card.

For that case, the coverings are weakly attached to the case such that you just punch them out to remove them, so they cannot be replaced.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
They are talking about the panels you remove when installing a gpu so that you have access to the ports. They sit right below the exhaust fan on back. Those are punch outs instead of removable ones meaning that once a cover is removed, it probably can't be refixed easily.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It isn't talking about the slots on the motherboard, it's talking about the openings (slots) on the back of the case. These openings will all be closed initially when you get the case. If you install an expansion card (e.g. a graphics card) you need to remove some of the slot coverings in order to make room for the graphics card so that the display connectors are accessible at the rear of the case. For some cases these coverings are held in place with screws, such that you could replace them if you later removed the expansion card.

For that case, the coverings are weakly attached to the case such that you just punch them out to remove them, so they cannot be replaced.

Solution

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Yeah, just looking at that case, I would be worried about the cooling. It says there is room for 2 fans on top, 2 in front, and 2 on bottom, but it looks like they are all covered in some way. The two on bottom are basically useless from the psu shroud. The two in front are blocked by large plastic panels, and one of the tops is blocked by a panel too. The top rear one is the only one that is visibly clear, and it is only half clear.