What is a method to connect Rj11 cable into Rj45 Router?

Ahmad Zaytoun

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I purchased Xiaomi Router 3, and it only got Rj45 for WAN port, and the internet cable in the building is RJ11. I also got an Rj11 to Rj45 converter, and it didn't work What can be done?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When you say internet cable, do you mean the building provides internet access? If so you should ask them.

RJ11 would typically be phone lines, which could carry internet via DSL, but that would be direct from an ISP. You would not use RJ11 to distribute an internet connection throughout a building.

Ahmad Zaytoun

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

Well, I guess I made a mistake. I mean the cable that comes from the provider is rj11

This is DSL. Verify that your modem is indeed DSL. You should be able to use a standard phone cord, both end with RJ11, and plug that sucker into the WAN port. A RJ11 plug will go into an RJ45 jack, just do it carefully to make sure the skinny plug is CENTERED as you shove it in, must get a solid click.

P.S. Re-reading your post, am suspecting this Xiomi is not a DSL router. You must connect a DSL modem/router from the ISP wall outlet, and THEN you can connect the Xiomi behind it.

Ahmad Zaytoun

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

thanks a lot for the tip. I connected it, but the DSL (internet) light still off. I guess I need to contact my ISP, right?