what is a safe temp range for r9 290

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
The r9 290 is known to run up to 95C with the stock cooler, you should have waited for an aftermarket version before you bought it

AMD regards that temperature as safe so it should have a higher temperature threshold than most cards... I'd take that with a grain of salt though
The r9 290 is known to run up to 95C with the stock cooler, you should have waited for an aftermarket version before you bought it

AMD regards that temperature as safe so it should have a higher temperature threshold than most cards... I'd take that with a grain of salt though

Solution

ZiggaZow

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Currently I'm getting the card to ramp up to roughly 90c under load, the temp ramps up fairly quickly i did however order gelid icy rev 2 heatsink for my r9 290. Gelid announced compatibility with the r9 290x, having said that it should still be compatible with my 290 right? I have been tentative to install because I have never installed a VGA cooler before and I'm having trouble finding solid information online for doing so any leads?

cdg4000

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
UPDATE FOR XFX R9 290 REFERENCE CARD 4GB
I know this is all late but there is a fix to this cooling problem.. have msi afterburner on at all times and then on the settings,on the fan tab, click on enable user defined software automatic fan control and click force fan speed update on each period and set speed 1000ms .. the auto fan will control the 90c and drop it to 60c. It will steady at 63c Max.
This is with dying light playing .
Just make sure to update the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.