[SOLVED] What is best GPU for 1080p , that can run games on High in 2021?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
Hi guys .. i need your help..
I planing to play games only in 1080p monitors..
I have a question..what Is best GPU today you suggest that can handle modern games in 2021?
I mean now Rtx 3080 is overkill for 1080p...it's waist of money...
Beginning from GTX1080 till now.. what you suggest..?
I have z97 mother board with i7 4790k and gtx 980.. 16 gig ram.. my PC cannot run Red Dead Redemption 2 on high.. only on 1600x1200 and some settings off ..
Want to build I new PC .. my budget is under 2k..
BUT there's is question.. can I save money and buy just GTX 1080 Ti shaped instead Gtx 980 on my board ???? Will it handle games in 1080p ..in next 4-5 years ?
Or shuld I go to RTX cards ???

Last edited:
Solution
GPU's are very hard to find, and good ones at the price range you need to meet a $2K/1080p build is going to be one of those unless hitting the used market and taking a chance on a former mining re-sell. One way, though, is with a pre-built. A serious suggestion: go check out GN's video series on pre-builts. There are good and bad ones, some of the good ones can be turned into great with a little attention and a couple fans and/or CPU cooler upgrade.

He's just getting into the $2000 price range though, so you'll have to hold on for some reviews of good ones. The first in that range (an $1800 Dell/Alienware) was so terrible it's funny. Worth the watch to learn what...
GPU's are very hard to find, and good ones at the price range you need to meet a $2K/1080p build is going to be one of those unless hitting the used market and taking a chance on a former mining re-sell. One way, though, is with a pre-built. A serious suggestion: go check out GN's video series on pre-builts. There are good and bad ones, some of the good ones can be turned into great with a little attention and a couple fans and/or CPU cooler upgrade.

He's just getting into the $2000 price range though, so you'll have to hold on for some reviews of good ones. The first in that range (an $1800 Dell/Alienware) was so terrible it's funny. Worth the watch to learn what ticks him off...and just how bad things can be when proprietary parts replace ATX standard. But have no fear, he'll get to some good ones soon that are ATX standard and then you'll know what to expect. At least.

Last edited:
Solution

Geef

Distinguished
People may say "Do this! Do that!" but whatever you choose to do will be the right thing.

A newer CPU/motherboard would be good, but it will really only help newer games. I still run an i7 7700k and it runs everything I play great. Back when I ran an RX 580 video card I could run all games at 1080p high settings as long as I had AntiAliasing turned off.

Don't think of it as a single upgrade. Think of it as the 'next upgrade' to your machine. Your going to add an XYZ and make the system run better and in a few months of saving up your gonna buy a PDQ and it will be even greater. An ongoing process.

All this talk of "Oh this will bottleneck your machine!" is a load of BS. Buying an upgrade like a video card now that performs better than your current system can handle just means that on your next upgrade in a few months your going to get even better total performance!

Enjoy your build.

Reactions: Od86x

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
Cooler Noctua NH-D14 .. bought in 2014..
PSU although.. Corsair HX850 Gold bought in 2014 too ..but I never used ..its been siting on shelf for 7 years.. never opened .. sealed box in plastic bag still.. still wonder if it's ok to use ...🤔

There's only a few settings that causes RDD2 / RDO to lag on a 2070, mainly reflections and water detail. I have everything else cranked up to ultra and it runs buttery smooth except for the occasion FPS drops that happen regardless of settings. Now with DLSS, it's even faster.
Oh I was saying if you were to use a 4790k 1866Mhz ram and it stays under 55fps for max settings, I don't think I was very clear

Reactions: revodo

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
Alright guys .. I finally choose and ordered hardware for my new PC
i7 10700k
EVGA RTX3070
Asus Prime Z590-P
Gskill 16g Ram
Corsair Rmx 850W
And I will reuse some parts from old PC ..such as Cpu cooler, ssd drive, optical drive and PC case ..
Still waiting for them... next week I will build new PC.. so it will be my PC for next 5 years or so ..
Cheers 😀

Reactions: Bazzy 505