What is bottlenecking?

Carl Patrick

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
What is bottlenecking first of all? Secondly how do you bottle neck your cpu or gpu? And finaly what will it do long term to your hardware?

Solution

The 1080 would be fine with any k series processor from the 2500k to 6700k. There are performance increases from generation to generation of course and latest generation is always slightly better than the last. However to make a specific recommendation, would need to know exactly what you intend to do with the PC. Is this a gaming box ? Is it primarily a gaming box with some video editing ? Will you be using any workstation type apps ? Which ones ?

For a gaming box, for long term viability, the 6700k is the best choice, the 6600k is the '"best on a budget" choice. Both allow overclocking and even if you don't wanna do it now, you can do it later...

1shooter

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
Bottle necking is where you have say cup of water that can all be thrown out at once, vs a bottle that gets slowed down by the bottle itself.

Applied to computers its a component that is normally the sole cause of a computer being slow. A easy fix for a bottle neck would be say a outdated super slow hard drive. It physically can not go as fast as the rest of the computer creating a bottle neck. Replace the hard drive the computer runs faster.

It's something that every new PC builder worries like crazy about but something that probably 1 in 200 have experienced :)

Basically it's the ole "chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck

Or think of a 3-legged race... you can only go as fast as the slowest of the 2 partners

Getting super fast RAM for example won't help ya with a slow CPU. So the performance of ya RAM is "bottlenecked" by the slow CPU which can't su-pply data to RAM as fast as RAM can take it.

It doesn't do anything to your hardware other than under utilize it.

Carl Patrick

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
in that case what cpu would b web needed for at gtx 1080 for example?

1shooter

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
I am not the best guy to ask, but i would buy the i7 6700k you can get a m.2 x 4 hard drive and really be pretty freakin fast.

The 6700k is about as fast as you can get for a single thread, it will push you up to the ddr4 but be warned its expensive. But the rig will be great for 5 years or more. The cheap route would be the amd fx 8350 you can put it together cheapl but will be outdated much faster as its about on its last leg now. But still a great chip and a good rig.

If money is not that big of object the 6700k. If money is fx 8350. I don't see a point in many the other chips but other will disagree.

The 1080 would be fine with any k series processor from the 2500k to 6700k. There are performance increases from generation to generation of course and latest generation is always slightly better than the last. However to make a specific recommendation, would need to know exactly what you intend to do with the PC. Is this a gaming box ? Is it primarily a gaming box with some video editing ? Will you be using any workstation type apps ? Which ones ?

For a gaming box, for long term viability, the 6700k is the best choice, the 6600k is the '"best on a budget" choice. Both allow overclocking and even if you don't wanna do it now, you can do it later if you system starts to feel "tired".

Keep in mind that I expect the next generation CPUs to drop not long after Black Friday. If ya inclined to wait a bit, we are likely to see another marginal increase with Z270 MoBos and 7xxx series CPUs.

If those are budget killers, you can drop down the Intel line as far as you need to go. I don't ;look at any of AMD as and option until budget price for this system is in the $800 range. But with a 1080 on your list, you are obviously well above that.

Solution