[SOLVED] What is causing my crashes and restarts?

Oct 31, 2019
I built my computer back in July with the release of the new AMD products. I have been experiencing minor bugs since it was built but I just figured this would all get worked out with new bios and driver updates. Here we are and everything except one specific bug has been worked out.
My computer crashes or restarts when video editing. I use both premiere pro, insta360 studio, and I have tried some other apps. The only other time I can get something to crash or restart the pc is with chrome (rarely but sometimes) if I load it immediately upon entering windows or immediately after closing a program and loading chrome. I have never had a crash or restart while gaming. I have replaced my thermal paste and run Prime95 for roughly 10 hours with no crashes or restarts. I have run furmark with no problems. I have run 4 passes to completion of memtest 86 with no problems. I have run every single stress test on OCCT with no problems. I have unplugged each cord and put them back into the motherboard and power supply. I have tried my ram in each slot and one at a time. I have tried my ram on auto, xmp and manually setting every single timing. I have reset windows multiple times in hopes that I could set up my drivers differently and fix it. I have tried with all of the fans on their highest with and keeping my apartment cold and temps are not an issue. I have monitored everything and there are no issues with temp.

Here is my best explanation of the problem. When I load insta360 studio, and scrub through my 360 footage, it is fine but will often crash after enough time of playing around with the footage just watching and moving the cursor around. The faster way to get to the error is by exporting the footage to mp4. It will crash anywhere between 1%-99% completion of the export. There are no warnings and no errors reported. About 5% of time my computer will just randomly restart instead.

Adobe. I will get the exact same thing in Premiere Pro when moving through my timeline. Most often with clips that have more graphics/edits attached. If I create a proxy in media encoder for my footage it will do the same as insta360 but instead generate a crash report to send to adobe. Again, roughly 5% of the time the computer just restarts. Temps are not an issue.

I should also mention that for both programs I have tried with all hardware acceleration settings turned off as well.

Please help me solve this! I don't have spare pc parts as I built this computer to replace my crappy laptop.

Everything is was purchased brand new this year in July...
cpu: 3700x
gpu: 5700xt
mb: x570 taichi
ram: ballistix sport lt 32gb 3200mhz
ssd: adata sx8200 1tb m.2 nvme
psu: corsair RM850x (850 watts)

Please and thank you for any help anybody can provide.

Huh this is an odd one. Seems you have tried all the normal troubleshooting steps and gone a good way beyond even.

My best guess based on what you have told me is RAM issues. its possible one or more modules is unstable and when it is in heavy use, for example buffering frames for a video render, it is throwing out errors. I would try running a memory stress test and it wouldn't hurt to do the same for the SSD

Oct 31, 2019
Huh this is an odd one. Seems you have tried all the normal troubleshooting steps and gone a good way beyond even.

My best guess based on what you have told me is RAM issues. its possible one or more modules is unstable and when it is in heavy use, for example buffering frames for a video render, it is throwing out errors. I would try running a memory stress test and it wouldn't hurt to do the same for the SSD

I have run multiple ram stress tests and have never encountered an error. As for the ssd.. I have added an old mechanical drive and installed the programs on it and moved my footage over to that drive. The exact problems are happening.

Oct 31, 2019
Something very interesting that I tried out today...

I went into global wattman and moved some sliders around for undervolting (mostly just slowing down gpu frequency). I immediately opened my insta360 studio because it is the fastest test and it actually exported the footage! This worked for multiple bitrates and after turning on harware acceleration as well.

So I went into Premiere Pro and was able to also encode the footage for proxies in media encoder.

Unfortunately, I found that actually editing the footage was still causing either crashes, or restarts.
Next I went into Ryzen Master and creator mode and tried changing the processor to eco mode and that actually allowed me to edit for even longer. Still eventually got a crash and on the next try got a restart.

So.. both gpu and cpu can work at stock settings for unlimited lengths of time stress testing but not video editing.
When both are slowed down, they can video edit for longer but still not for an extended period of time.

Something is making me feel like its the motherboard that is the issue but I don't know enough about all this to confirm it or know a way to prove it.

Any thoughts?

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Something very interesting that I tried out today...

I went into global wattman and moved some sliders around for undervolting (mostly just slowing down gpu frequency). I immediately opened my insta360 studio because it is the fastest test and it actually exported the footage! This worked for multiple bitrates and after turning on harware acceleration as well.

So I went into Premiere Pro and was able to also encode the footage for proxies in media encoder.

Unfortunately, I found that actually editing the footage was still causing either crashes, or restarts.
Next I went into Ryzen Master and creator mode and tried changing the processor to eco mode and that actually allowed me to edit for even longer. Still eventually got a crash and on the next try got a restart.

So.. both gpu and cpu can work at stock settings for unlimited lengths of time stress testing but not video editing.
When both are slowed down, they can video edit for longer but still not for an extended period of time.

Something is making me feel like its the motherboard that is the issue but I don't know enough about all this to confirm it or know a way to prove it.

Any thoughts?
Have you checked in event viewer for anything happening at the time of the crashes?

Oct 31, 2019
Yes, generally I have been monitoring it, although it has been pretty consistent on its vague reports. When a program crashes with no restart like adobe or insta360 it will 50% of the time give an application error in event viewer and potentially list a faulting module name(dll) but not always. On restarts, usually, the events are just a kernel-power event 41 task 63 (system restarted without cleanly shutting down first), as well as, error eventlog 6008 (shutdown was unexpected).

I did notice that yesterday I started getting Eventlog 1101.. Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

Oct 31, 2019
Oct 31, 2019
OK, I think I have narrowed down my issue! While troubleshooting today I found that if I went into the advanced power settings and turned my processor speed to 99% my computer wouldn't crash no matter what extensive video editing I would throw at it. So I booted up HWMonitor and even at 99% it basically blocks my cpu from going above 2.8ghz. Obviously this is insanely slow for the 3700x on an x570 board. As soon as I put the cpu back at 100% and use an cpu intensive program it immediately crashes.

So, with this information, is it enough to know whether its the cpu that needs replaced or the motherboard?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide

Thats some serius craziness going on with your system.

Ryzen 7 3700X, no OC, with the default options set in BIOS, and 99% set on the advanced power plan option, should score around 3564MHz base clock (with no boost, since is capped at 99%).

Getting 2.8GHz is completely wrong and broken.

Yous should really check on internet the best way to reset your BIOS for sure, usually restoring the default options + saving changes and then turning off the PC, taking out he power cord off the wall and finally removing the cmos battery for atleast 5 mins.

Then start all over, go to BIOS enter using F2 or DEL, and restore default options again, go to Windows and see if that fix the problem.

Oct 31, 2019
So I have tried the new bios just released. People on reddit were saying this update was reporting slower speeds so I thought maybe it would be a good update for me. I updated the bios and cleared the cmos but still no luck.

Oct 31, 2019
I just got the motherboard replaced.. so i'm working with a new x570 taichi. same as before but it was replaced with a new one. The first thing i did was pop in the cpu, ram, gpu, ssd and needed power cords just to test it. It worked great. Not one single issue with editing. Everything was working perfectly. Today it is no longer working.

Back to square one on this thing. I'm getting restarts, crashes, freezes and apps just closing with no error. Event viewer is still showing me nothing except the super generic errors that come with a random reset. Stress testing is still working fine. Cleared the cmos. ram is at factory settings. Memtest86 run, fans on high and never peaking on temps right now above 68C. I tried unplugging all the case fans and still nothing. I have tried 3 different bios versions including the original.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Oct 31, 2019
What @LORDPrometheus wrote or a really bad voodoo psu.

Its really wierd that it worked fine for a some hours, thats really strange.
You sure you didn't change anything on the hardware deparment from when it was working yesterday to today?, No new software added either?

I'm sure. And I agree it is extremely weird. I just posted a new finding in the CPU forum as well but here is what I found this morning...

What I have learned (using RYZEN MASTER). I can only edit if I turn down the speed of my cores and up the peak core voltage. The fastest speed I can set it to is 4.2 ghz at 1.51 volts. This allows editing without a crash. During idle, the voltages jump around and the temps stay cool but while editing/rendering they stay at the 1.51 max and the temps get hot.
This is also strange bc prime95 runs the processor without crashes at 4.3ghz and 1.4v for hours and barely hitting 70c. And that is without using ryzen master.

TRENDING THREADS