What is causing this Windows Experience Index Error

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Several weeks back I started getting an error every time I ran the WEI in one of my computers. It would stop near the end of its run with the following error:

The Windows Experience Index for Your System Could Not be Computed
Could not measure storage performance.
Error: Failed to properly asses the disk.
The parameter is incorrect.

(Parameter ??? There's nothing I like better than a nice cryptic explanation)
And get this... Today I ran the WEI on my 2nd computer and now it's producing this same error. And yet, both computer's HDDs check out fine, There are no flags in Device Manager, and no problems elsewhere.

I haven't done anything pertaining to the HDD in either machine. If I remember correctly, I noticed the problem after swapping the graphics cards between machines, although I can't understand why that would affect the HDD error in WEI. In both instances I did a clean re-install of the latest drivers. Both systems are kept clean of garbage (if you know what I mean) and both are running Win7x64. Anyone have a clue as to what is causing this error, and how I can eliminate it? Thanks.

Solution
yes the event viewer. Expand Windows Logs then select both application and system. On the right hand side you can do a find for those key words. Even if the WEI doesn't show a failure, it still may report something in the EL.
yes the event viewer. Expand Windows Logs then select both application and system. On the right hand side you can do a find for those key words. Even if the WEI doesn't show a failure, it still may report something in the EL.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I did as you said, but found no instances of any errors. Did same for each computer. So, to make it easier to locate a possible error, I ran WEI again on both computers. Both runs stopped with the same error. Then I searched for an error immediately afterwards. Nothing. No errors of ANY kind reported in either Application or System portions of Event Viewer.

It's odd that WEI is reporting the same error on both machines. Especially since one machine has a single HDD and the other 2 HDD in RAID 0. Just out of curiosity, I wonder if I swapped the graphics cards back in their respective machines, re-install the drivers, if the problem would go away? Seems like a lot of effort just to get WEI to perform correctly, though...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I reinstalled the O.S. on one of the machines, and the problem disappeared on that computer. I suppose I will have to do it on the other one too.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Nope, don't use Readyboost. However...
I just ran the WEI again... for about the 10th time...
(Now I'm totally at a loss) It suddenly worked! I got a result! No error! :pt1cable: