Question What is "COM Surrogate" and why does it keep eating up my resources?

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
For a while I have been noticing that a process called COM Surrogate will eat up my resources like theres no tomorrow and I have to end it to free up my resources, sometimes it's so bad that I can tell when my PC is getting slow. I have no idea what it does since ending it doesn't seem to do anything except free up resources, sometimes it will use 25GB of RAM and 75% of CPU for no reason. Not sure what it does and how I can prevent this from happening, any thoughts? My PC specs are in my signature and I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

D

Deleted member 14196

Where are you obtaining this information from? Resource monitor? Because that’s where you should be looking to see what’s eating resources

DavidVioMC

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
Where are you obtaining this information from? Resource monitor? Because that’s where you should be looking to see what’s eating resources
I used Task Manager to verify the useage.

Information on the legitimate Windows COM Surrogate: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20090212-00/?p=19173

TL;DR: COM Surrogate is a sacrificial process used by other processes to run tasks outside of their own executables. The example in the article is browsing to a thumbnail-enabled folder in Explorerfiring one off to generate the thumbnails.
How would I be able to prevent this? It's defintely not a virus since the PC has clean Windows install with just drivers and Steam. I haven't even installed Google Chrome since I don't use it for anything else than gaming, Razer Stealth is my daily driver.