What is controlling the fans on my NZXT Kraken X62?

RipGroove99

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017
Just built a new PC which has an NZXT Kraken with the 2x stock fans (4 pin) on the front and 2x Corsair ML140's (4 pin) on the rear all plugged into the NZXT Kraken cooler which is then plugged into the motherboards 3 pin CPU header, a USB 2.0 header and a SATA power cable as per NZXT instructions.

BUT...

The NZXT CAM software very rarely detects my Kraken at all, it seems to just loose it then I have reinstall everything again!

So, if the CAM software isn't controlling the rad fans then what is? ASUS Thermal Radar 2 doesn't seem to be able to control the CPU fans on the NZXT for some reason?

RipGroove99

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017
This is quite worrying as I'm pretty sure that when NZXT CAM has 'forgotten' about my CPU cooler that none of the CPU rad fans ramp up under load!!!!

As it is every single time I start my PC I have to open CAM to see if it still recognises my Kraken cooler, and if it doesn't I have to keep reinstalling CAM until it does :-(

RipGroove99

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017
Hang on, what if I just connect my CPU rad fans to chassis fan headers on my motherboard instead, I should be able to set them to ramp up with CPU temps? I'm going to go try that.

Polar Trap

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
You're gonna want to check that the USB 2.0 header is fully plugged in. This has happened to me before, and it sucks. Don't plug in your fans to chassis headers, unless your motherboard has a fan control option, (mostly on high-end mobos), you're not gonna be able to control them, unless you want to control them through the BIOS.

RipGroove99

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017

Plugging to to Chassis fan headers actually worked perfectly as my BIOS has good fan control options, BUT, I now have a pretty serious issue...

I need NZXT CAM to start when I start Windows in order to keep my Kraken X62 water pump on the 'performance' profile (apparently it defaults to silent with a slower pump speed) as that's the only way to keep my 7700k temps down under load at 4.9GHz+. But 50% of the time CAM just crashes after loading.

And I cant just simply restart CAM manually because as it conflicts with my ASUS Aura software, CAM has to load first to get around the conflict so I've delayed the startup of the AURA service, so obviously when my PC starts and CAM crashes, at this point AURA is already running so I can't just restart CAM, I have to reboot whole PC. How can I fix this? Or is there a way I can uninstall CAM completely but still keep the Kraken pump on the 'Performance' profile and taking temp readings from CPU?

If CAM crashes while I'm gaming my CPU will fry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could just control the Krakens pump from my ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1 BIOS.

FYI the conflict I'm talking about between AURA and CAM actually stops CAM from recognising my Kraken at all, which is also no good for me.